Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

My daughter's a lefty, do I teach her to play left or right handed?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15513
    I wonder if it comes from the time when all guitars were fingerpicked and it was the R hand doing the hard work. Likewise the mandolin family, where the left hand has a relatively easy job of it and the R hand has the harder job (leastways, I can't imagine trying to tremolo pick with my left hand). 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    edited November 2014
    Im left handed and play left handed. My left hand has more controlled rhythm. ie If i play with drum sticks the left is the one i can controll the best. It feels more natural and the first thing i ever did with a guitar was to try and strum it. It didnt matter if it was left or right i had no idea it was upside down i just ran my thumb over the strings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Right handed. I find it baffling that guitars are even available left handed when no other musical instruments are. 
    this is soooooo wrong… it makes a huge difference
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    If I'd let my left handed son learn right handed from the start, it might have been better for him as regards purchasing guitars.........but it would also mean I would have to keep a sharp eye on my right handed collection
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471

perfect solution...

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Well it's all academic now anyway. I asked her if she was still interested in getting a guitar and she said that she just wants to concentrate on her violin. Understandable really, as she really seems like a natural violinist.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

I'm very left handed... when I was a kid I tried goofing with guitar a little as a rightie.. it never made any sense to me at all.. I just couldn't get anything to work at all.. then within a year of that I tired a guitar strung leftie and took to it immediately..

it has less to do with what hand is on the neck and more to do with the hand that picks and strums.. essentially, the hand that provides all the timing and rhythmic information..

play every note as if it were your first
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Clarky said:

I'm very left handed... when I was a kid I tried goofing with guitar a little as a rightie.. it never made any sense to me at all.. I just couldn't get anything to work at all.. then within a year of that I tired a guitar strung leftie and took to it immediately..

it has less to do with what hand is on the neck and more to do with the hand that picks and strums.. essentially, the hand that provides all the timing and rhythmic information..

Absolutely the same experience. My first guitar was a blue Westfield acoustic type deal. I smashed it against my bedroom wall in a fit of anger after owning it for 2 hours.

Yeah... kinda got the rockstar thing down quite well when I was 16!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    You never see a left handed Violin, Viola, 'Cello, or upright Bass ...

Just saying ...
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Jalapeno said:
    You never see a left handed Violin, Viola, 'Cello, or upright Bass ...

Just saying ...
    um.. actually... you do.... Loads of people play them left handed. Some of them restring them, others just play it inverted.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Must be a laugh a minute in an orchestra pit as a lefty ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Richard Barth might say:
    VOT YOU TALKIN ABOUT, VILLIS?

Ornette Coleman played violin left handed

"I ain't neber seen a bigot admit to bein' wrong... jes sayin'"
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?