Recommend me a speaker, or maybe even sell me one.

DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
edited November 2014 in Amps
Blew my V30 out of my Mesa 2x12 cab last night, well I should say "other" one after I blew the other last Summer and got a nice replacement from @John_P I believe it was, on ye olde MR.

Anyways, fairly like the old V30s but in the interest of GAS I'd quite like to try something else out.

Literally no idea what to try out as I've always just stuck with V30s. I suppose I tend to go for quite a 90s grungey/heavier tones with big bold cleans. I suspect the vast amounts of feedback, squeals and fuzz octave sounds won't help me keep these speakers very healthy.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72403
    edited November 2014
    Classic Lead 80

Bigger, bolder and cleaner than the V30 while still in that darker/heavier modern area.

Higher rating too, so less chance if blowing it.

The most overlooked and under-rated speaker in Celestion's range...

If you want to spend a bit more, get a Mesa/Celestion Custom 90 - it's like a Classic Lead but 'more so'... darker and slightly dirtier, but not as much as a V30. It was based on an earlier version of the 80 - huge sounding and with even more bottom end.

Both of these mix perfectly with V30s as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Thanks for that, have you got one for sale sir?
    A friend of mine has a Classic Lead - it's not in perfect cosmetic condition apparently, but if it's going into a closed cab it shouldn't matter too much... I'll find out how much it is.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited November 2014
    I think Che is possibly selling a pair of C90s in the classifieds, post 2 here http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/27457/wtb-2x12-cab-and-maybe-a-10-driver-or-two#latest
  • FWIW I'm using a H75 Creamback paired with a Mesa V30 in the second 2x12 cab I got recently.

So far I like it, but it gives the cab a looser and brighter feel so it might not be what you want.  I've only used it up loud once so far, I'd like to see how I feel about it in a month or so.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636

Where are you Deij?

Dave.

• Ye I'm partial to the H75 Creambacks too,  i have one paired with aV30 in a Zilla OS cab and its great stuff. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31600
    ICBM;416224" said:
    Classic Lead 80

Bigger, bolder and cleaner than the V30 while still in that darker/heavier modern area.

+1, I've used nothing else in my 4x12s for 15 years, guitarists of all genres have used them by choice in my studio too.

Totting them up, I've had 12 of them so far and haven't blown one yet.
  • I have a pair of 16ohm CL80s in boxes for sale. Perfect condition.
    PM if interested.
    ecc83 said:

Where are you Deij?

Dave.

Carlisle mate. :-)
    SickSquid said:
    I have a pair of 16ohm CL80s in boxes for sale. Perfect condition.
    PM if interested.

That's a point, an 8ohm 2x12 cab...I bought the wrong ohm last time and I think it was 16 I actually needed. I'll have to check mate. Thanks.
    ICBM said:
    A friend of mine has a Classic Lead - it's not in perfect cosmetic condition apparently, but if it's going into a closed cab it shouldn't matter too much... I'll find out how much it is.

Thanks mate.
  • You need 16 ohm speakers for a Mesa 2x12 for it to work out at 8 ohms as per standard wiring. If you've got concerns about blowing the speakers just but another 2x12 :D
    A pair of C90s will take the cab rating up to 180W, which is a big improvement over the 120W of two V30s when driven by a 100W head.

I wouldn't like to say 'completely safe', especially if an octaver is involved, but it shouldn't be too far off.

Cheers guys, I need some further investigation.
    SickSquid said:
    I have a pair of 16ohm CL80s in boxes for sale. Perfect condition.
    PM if interested.
    PM'd sir.
    All sorted now.

Thanks dudes.
    ICBM said:
    Classic Lead 80

Both of these mix perfectly with V30s as well.
    My faith is with you again sir. Got a CL80 to mix with my V30 and another to go in my wee Jet City cab at home to replace the no brand speaker currently in it.

Gonna try my Hagen with said no name speaker today mind you but I suppose with knowledge of details about it the volume will have to stray no further than 1?
    What's the no-brand speaker like? Is it the original for the cab (in which case it's likely to be a roughly 50W Eminence I think) or something else?

I can't see it being less than about 20W no matter what it is, so it should be OK at home volume. Just be careful if it starts to sound flappy or oddly metallic.

I was basically just given the cab by a mate so no idea at all. But yeah, i can't just keep staring at this amp, I need to test run it.