Ampmaker P1800

What's Hot

Comments

• I once bought a power scaling kit from that grumpy bloke in Canada. It's till sitting in the bag it came in, thanks to the hopeless 'instructions.'
    Which one is that? And do you still want it? :)

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Kevin Whatisname at London Power. I'm not sure of the name of the kit though. I'll try ad dig it out later as I'd happily sell it one.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Kevin Whatisname at London Power. I'm not sure of the name of the kit though. I'll try ad dig it out later as I'd happily sell it one.

O'Connor, and yes he can be a bit abrupt! :D

The instructions he supplies require a bit of interpretation, and he'll often point you at his books for further information.

• Abrupt. Yes. At the very least. And as for buying one of his books; I may well have been m,ore open to that were it not for the, er, abruptness and the poorly written instructions. They didn't exactly fill me with confidence in his communication abilities. 

Anyway - it's a London Power Super Budget PSK 2 power scaling kit. I bought it in 2009, according to the invoice.
  • I built an N5X just under a year ago. As it's very much a Marshall-inspired amp I got a nice 18W style cab built for it and put a Greenback in it. Lovely. Then I bought a gold script Marshall logo to finish it off. Thing is now, the cab is more Marshall than the amp and I think it deserves a proper Marshall circuit put in it... I hope to build a P1800 in the next six months!
  • My Se5 is in a 1x12 cab with a Greenback too. I suspect it will be made obsolete by the P1800 though. I'm hoping it will be good for home use and the occasional pub gig.
  • Grabbed a couple of hours and built the power supply section. Tested and working.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just got another half a day on it. Turret board fully populated.

Preamp and phase inverter wired up.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Abrupt. Yes. At the very least. And as for buying one of his books; I may well have been m,ore open to that were it not for the, er, abruptness and the poorly written instructions. They didn't exactly fill me with confidence in his communication abilities. 

Anyway - it's a London Power Super Budget PSK 2 power scaling kit. I bought it in 2009, according to the invoice.
    I'll PM you..

R.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    edited December 2014

looking good.

also that selmer head!...  =D>

• Looks very tidy, I'm interested to hear clips of this, a friend might buy one but wants me to build it and test it!

Which is a frightening prospect, but would be a nice experience for me :)
  • He needs to be a good friend. It's reasonably straightforward, thanks to the excellent instructions, but it's still time consuming. I reckon I'll have spent two good days on it - and that's without mounting it in a box.
  • Fatfingers;446904" said:
    He needs to be a good friend. It's reasonably straightforward, thanks to the excellent instructions, but it's still time consuming. I reckon I'll have spent two good days on it - and that's without mounting it in a box.
    Sod that.

Not to mention any risks of faults and stuff - different if it's my own amp.

I do want to do one, I might try the wee little tweed one.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Go for it @ThePrettyDamned.  I can assure you that building a valve amp is one of the most satisfying DIY jobs you can do.  And the fact that you can use it for years, often casually letting it out that you built it yourself, is a bonus.  That moment you first hear your work 'speak' is one you will never forget.

And you built it yourself.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• I'll second that. My SE5 gave me years of pleasure. I'm sure this one will be even better.
  • Volume, Bass and Treble controls wired up.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well, I've finished the chassis.

It works fine on the normal input but I couldn't get my head around the wiring for the two inputs and the big gain input is clearly not cutting out properly – other than when a jack is plugged into the normal in. The high gain one works - and is obviously higher gain, but it squeals like a pig. I'm guessing I've goofed up the input socket wiring somehow and that both inputs are live when you plug into the hot input, instead of the other one being grounded. I've emailed BArry at Ampmaker a pic of my wiring so he cam tell me how I've buggered it up.

• MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Ha, snap. This is the exact same thing that happened to me on my build. I eventually worked it out, but I fed pack to Barry that I felt that this particular point was where you need photos rather than a diagram.

I have photos of the wiring of the inputs on mine. PM me with your email address if you want me to sent some photos.
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 346
    Looking good...

On the input wiring, I **think** you have the bare wire link between the two sockets backwards (difficult to make out from the photo)

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh143/werdnayarg/webstuf/untitled_zps17956eb9.jpg

Compare with this from Barry's site:

http://www.ampmaker.com/images/ak03kit/p18wg11.jpg

The link should cross 3 tags near the panel and then strike diagonally to one of the tags on the rear. It **looks** like yours does the opposite.

(Double check R6 (the resistor on the furthest jack socket) is 1M - it doesn't look like brown black green in the photo, but this could well be just the photo.)

• FatfingersFatfingers Frets: 500
    edited December 2014
    Thanks for the help - much appreciated. That's the diagram I can't get my head round. I held the sockets every which way but couldn't see how they related to that diagram.

Here's what I've done. I'm sure you're right that I've screwed it up. I just can't make out exactly how.

(They're both 1M resistors. You just can't easily see them.)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom