Replacement Fender Princeton Reverb input jack PCB

What's Hot
My mate's Princeton Reverb reissue stopped working abruptly, and by the look of two of the jack plugs on the end of his leads the amp has been knocked over with the leads plugged in (they are badly bent), which has damaged the sockets.  His four year-old son is a maniac, so I am blaming him.   Does anyone know where I can get the PCB mounted 2 x input jacks from?  It's the one pre-mounted on a mini-PCB, with the 68K grid stoppers and 1 Meg earth resistors in place, and which plugs into the main PCB.  Can't find anything at Allparts or Ebay.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72678
    Just replace it with two proper chassis-mounted jacks, like the vintage ones. You need two standard switched Switchcraft jacks, you should be able to salvage the resistors from the PCB.

No point in replacing a poor way of doing it when there is a simpler and better way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fair point.  Shall I just clip the end off the plug-in lead (which leads to the main PCB) and wire the input and ground to the other end?  I don't want to start meddling with soldering on the main PCB.
    Fair point.  Shall I just clip the end off the plug-in lead (which leads to the main PCB) and wire the input and ground to the other end?  I don't want to start meddling with soldering on the main PCB.
    Yes, that's how I'd do it - even given my dislike of push-connectors I would resist the need to get the main board out unless really necessary.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Okay, thanks.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7501
    edited November 2014
    I recommend one of these

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/8705455.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=cgid:18091943005|tsid:59156|cid:189934285|lid:96719311765|nw:g|crid:59257485325|rnd:16224673156026240017|dvc:m|adp:1o1

Oh the amp, not the child...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ha!  My mate is so careless, I'm surprised the amp AND the kid aren't dead.  He lets them play with mains sockets.  He's broken at least half his guitars' headstocks off.  Bloody useless.

I made the socket replacement - and the amp doesn't work.  Annoying.  I've changed all the valves, and still no signal.  The background hiss goes up as the volume is turned up, so it must be a problem with the first stage.  When he plugged it in at rehearsal last night it made a weird high pitched whistling sound, and unplugging the lead made it whistle again.  That's why I thought it was an earth problem on the sockets, but obviously not.  God I'm sick of amps breaking.
    Are you sure you've wired the sockets correctly and one is not shorting against the chassis? It does sound like the fault is at the jacks if it was whistling with no lead in -and that means the socket *was* broken, so no loss to replace them.

Is the cable to the main board shielded? Could you have overheated it and shorted it? (Common problem with thin cable.)

• I am now sure I hadn't wired the sockets correctly - now fixed.  I don't really want to go into why - it's a bit embarrassing.  Thank you!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31682
    Colour blindness is nothing to be ashamed of these days you know.