Mesa Boogie Stiletto Replacement Footswitch

What's Hot
camfcamf Frets: 1193
edited November 2014 in Amps
Anyone know where I can pick one up in the UK? It's the two button channel/boost model. Is it likely to be difficult and take time?

Thanks guys.

cam f
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• camfcamf Frets: 1193
    Bump for being under the right heading now! :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72786
    Westside, but be prepared to pay through the nose (or worse).

Any two-button latching footswitch without LEDs should work if you need a temporary way of getting it working. If you want the LEDs, it's slightly more complicated, since there are four possible ways of connecting them and only one will work.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks @ICBM. It's never cheap and easy, is it. :-)
  • I would be tempted to e-mail MESA direct - they have an excellent reputation for customer service. I e-mailed Westside in the MR days when my LSS blew a fuse and never got a reply - though as ever @ICBM came up trumps with the answer I needed :)
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    ICBM said:

Any two-button latching footswitch without LEDs should work if you need a temporary way of getting it working. If you want the LEDs, it's slightly more complicated, since there are four possible ways of connecting them and only one will work.
    Are they easy to get into? I've got one in my practice room, if they're not too hard to open up I could take a picture of the wiring if that'd help.
    Cirrus said:
    Are they easy to get into? I've got one in my practice room, if they're not too hard to open up I could take a picture of the wiring if that'd help.
    Not really, because you won't be able to see the polarity of the LEDs, but it would tell you whether they're in series with the switches (most likely, all the modern Mesas are like that as far as I know) or parallel (how the early ones were).

The problem is working out whether any other footswitch from any other maker would work with it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• If it's the head there are two additional sockets in the back for latching switches so any two mono pedals will do.

if it's not urgent I'll dig my pedal out at some stage and upload a photo of its innards.
    This place.... it's not real! ;)

Thanks guys. :D
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    edited November 2014
    @camf

Circuit board - bottom view.  LEDs on South face

Switch and LED

Guess

Switch to led and jack plug

Switch to LED

HTH
    Can you have a look and see which side the flat side of the LEDs is - they have a slightly D shaped cross section at the bottom - nearest the jack or furthest away? Unfortunately can't quite see in the pic, but if you know that you can build one which will work.

edited November 2014
    All put away now.

In practice, there are only four combinations for the LEDs, so it can be breadboarded and the right combination perma-soldered.

If the one nearest the jack lights up, then there are only two possible combinations for the other one, it seems to me.
    I wish I knew stuff... :-)
  • camf said:
    I wish I knew stuff... :-)
    You don't have to.

Wire it up like the above.

Keep the LEDs for last, and wrap wire round them as a temp connection instead of soldering them up. 

Trigger the switches. 

No lights? Invert LED 1.

Trigger the switches
    No lights?  Invert LED2

Trigger the switches

No lights? Invert LED1 again.

One of those has to work.  Simples.  Solder, and assemble.

Don't earth anything to the pedal box.  The metal is isolated in the  original footswitch.

I bet ICBM could knock one of these together faster than Arnie could assemble an AK-47.

• I think there are hidden diodes in this switch.  It doesn't make sense unless there is some current inversion going on somewhere. Am I right @ICBM?
    Shouldn't be. Just two LEDs which are each in series with a switch. The LED draws enough current to pull down the switching in the amp at the same time as lighting itself.

• Confuzzled.  It looks like a single series circuit with two switches to me.

No earth for the leds if either switch is open.

I admit I am not an electronics whiz, though.
    It's two independent series circuits, one connected to each of the tip and ring contacts of the jack.

It's a double-sided PCB :).

• ICBM said:
    It's two independent series circuits, one connected to each of the tip and ring contacts of the jack.

It's a double-sided PCB :).
    It is double sided but translucent. Pic 1 is showing all the circuit traces on both sides of the board.  Hence my confusion.
    The ground trace must simply not be very visible, otherwise the circuit could not work at all.

edited November 2014
    That's my point.  What you see is what there is.

So I was thinking there must be additional diodes in there somewhere and a dc line with perhaps either a current inverter or a cv of some sort.