Oil City Christmas/New Year offer

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10485
edited November 2014 in Made in the UK tFB Trader
Hi guys ... after a bit of head scratching I have come up with a little sweetener for your Christmas and New Year:

I'm offering 10% off all Oil City standard range (not custom work, and excluding the Buccaneer Wide Range) if ordered by the 19th of December for delivery to you by the first week of Febuary. There will be an oil city price rise in January, but pickups ordered through the offer will be immune from that ... so you will actually save quite a bit more than 10%!
Okay so you will have to plan a bit ahead ... there will be a four week wait after the mince pie smoke has cleared ... but that will allow those of you with projects to get the woody bits done!
This offer will be dependant on forum membership ... so tell all your mates swell our happy band.
All orders should be initiated by PM to make sure you are genuine lol!
Ash
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10485
    tFB Trader
    For some reason this got into the index section!!!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Darn it, missed by a few days!

Awesome offer though. :D considering whether I might need something else... Planning a single pickup build.

Hmm. :)

• Darn it, missed by a few days!

Awesome offer though. :D considering whether I might need something else... Planning a single pickup build.

@ThePrettyDamned
    [Ahem] December
  • steamabacus;420485" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Darn it, missed by a few days!

@ThePrettyDamned

[Ahem] December
    Nah mate, I ordered mine a few days ago - before the offer!

I don't mind. They're still really well priced for the sheer quality... I've been expecting a price rise for about a year!
  • Oh, right. I get you.

:)
    tFB Trader
    Don't worry Paul .... you are one of the Oil City/ASL faithful ... I will remember your near miss and make sure you get something else nice :-)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @theguitarweasel don't be so silly :) they're a bargain at full price in my opinion! 

• Hi Ash,

I am tempted by the Wapping Wharf, but I have never used a tapped pickup - I was wondering if you could explain the sounds to me, and how big of a difference I would hear?

Thanks.
  • Got the 53 hybrids mate.

All wired up and... I'm super excited.

As usual, you've just delivered the goods. And I must ask where you source your yellow and black wires. The stuff I use it much, much harder to push back :( so I use off cuts of yours where possible!
    tFB Trader
    Got the 53 hybrids mate.

As usual, you've just delivered the goods. And I must ask where you source your yellow and black wires. The stuff I use it much, much harder to push back :( so I use off cuts of yours where possible!
    Mojotone USA ... (Bugger)Allparts are meant to carry it ... but never have any ... so I by it in 200ft reels from across the pond.

• Any bargain suggestions for upgrades for a MIM Strat, which is HSS?

Something along the lines of the Texas Specials/Pearly Gates pairing in the Lonestar Strat.

tFB Trader
    Hi Ash,

I am tempted by the Wapping Wharf, but I have never used a tapped pickup - I was wondering if you could explain the sounds to me, and how big of a difference I would hear?

Thanks.
    It is exactly the same as having two pickups .... one high output and one lower output sharing the same space. So with my Diesel Tap you get a twangy. cutting 6.5k sixties style pickup in 'tapped' mode. Then on full throttle you get pushing 9k of blues rock goodness with much fatter mids, and more oomph to drive your amp. There is no down side.
    With the Wapping Wharf you get 9k of vintage '50s Broadcaster' pickup ... a little fatter in the mids than a sixties unit ... but on full power you get a snarling 15k beast ... that can easily give you that 'Status Quo through a Marshall' sound and will give many hot humbuckers a good kicking. Again no down side.

tFB Trader
    Any bargain suggestions for upgrades for a MIM Strat, which is HSS?

Something along the lines of the Texas Specials/Pearly Gates pairing in the Lonestar Strat.

Blitz Spirit Alnico 2 humbucker bridge side ... coupled with a pair of StoneTone strat pickups .... Slash/Gibbons sounds at the bridge, moving to turbo Hendrix/SRV middle and neck.
    You would need to order these as a matched set, as I would reverse the singles polarity to fit in with the bucker :-)

• Thanks for the info, very interested, sounds like a nice secret weapon to have.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    TheGuitarWeasel;425949" said:
    chrisj1602 said:

Hi Ash,

Thanks.

It is exactly the same as having two pickups .... one high output and one lower output sharing the same space. So with my Diesel Tap you get a twangy. cutting 6.5k sixties style pickup in 'tapped' mode. Then on full throttle you get pushing 9k of blues rock goodness with much fatter mids, and more oomph to drive your amp. There is no down side.

With the Wapping Wharf you get 9k of vintage '50s Broadcaster' pickup ... a little fatter in the mids than a sixties unit ... but on full power you get a snarling 15k beast ... that can easily give you that 'Status Quo through a Marshall' sound and will give many hot humbuckers a good kicking. Again no down side.
    Well that just made my mind up. I'll be having a Wapping Wharf pm incoming Ash
  • TheGuitarWeasel;425943" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Got the 53 hybrids mate.

Mojotone USA ... (Bugger)Allparts are meant to carry it ... but never have any ... so I by it in 200ft reels from across the pond.
    Hahaha bit too much for my needs! However, I will keep my eyes peeled on allprats. :) Thanks.

The stuff I have I've resorted to just cutting the braided cloth away, it just doesn't like being peeled! Anyway, I only needed 3 pieces, the rest came from your pickups :) result.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    You are a bad man.

Right then. I've not been happy long term with the humbuckers on the kit SG I used for the FB challenge. All I know about them is the bridge is 16k and the neck is 12.3k and that they have lower output than the similar impedance Irongears in my 112. Going to guess ceramic because they must be very cheap. I sort of like the sound they do get at full volume and tone when really hitting the strings hard, which is fairly growly, but they don't clean up well and are quite muddy (can't really distinguish individual strings, saturate quite quickly). So, any suggestions for a replacement for the bridge? (The neck is the better of the two) I've been wondering about putting a HB sized P90 in, but am open to ideas.
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    Ash, Do you make F style bass sets, specifically P-J?

Cheers,

C.
    tFB Trader
    imalone said:
    You are a bad man.

Right then. I've not been happy long term with the humbuckers on the kit SG I used for the FB challenge. All I know about them is the bridge is 16k and the neck is 12.3k and that they have lower output than the similar impedance Irongears in my 112. Going to guess ceramic because they must be very cheap. I sort of like the sound they do get at full volume and tone when really hitting the strings hard, which is fairly growly, but they don't clean up well and are quite muddy (can't really distinguish individual strings, saturate quite quickly). So, any suggestions for a replacement for the bridge? (The neck is the better of the two) I've been wondering about putting a HB sized P90 in, but am open to ideas.
    HB sized P90s would sound an look great in my opinion!

JCA2550 said:
    Ash, Do you make F style bass sets, specifically P-J?

Cheers,

C.
    Only to special order .... so not in this promotion I'm afraid, sorry!

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748

imalone said:
    You are a bad man.

HB sized P90s would sound an look great in my opinion!

Mighty 90 on order! Something to look forward to in a dull January.