Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Overdrive before or after modulation?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• There must be a bit of a trend for putting modulation before drive at the moment...didn't used to be like that. >:D<
    All the classic EVH phaser/flanger tones are going straight into the amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There must be a bit of a trend for putting modulation before drive at the moment...didn't used to be like that. >:D<
    Just pedals I mean, sorry. I've not got an FX loop and I like my amp pretty dirty. 

I've heard people suggest that modulation should generally go after drive on here before though in other threads..so what gives?  :-S :D
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited November 2014
    The set up I have just now (see "shows yer pedalboard") has   drive - mod - drive - mod - amp.  :)

• I've heard people suggest that modulation should generally go after drive on here before though in other threads..so what gives?  :-S :D
    Because there is no right answer to this one ;-)

I run all mine upfront as I use a dirty amp and usually can't be bothered setting up the extra cables to use anything in my FX loop (that's just me being lazy).

However when I do set it up "properly" I put Univibe and Phaser before drive, and chorus after. 

• I've heard people suggest that modulation should generally go after drive on here before though in other threads..so what gives?  :-S :D

The same people with different answers?

The same people with different answers?
    Which way is the wind blowing?
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited November 2014
     >:D<
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    LastMantra;423131" said:
    not_the_dj said:

LastMantra said:

There must be a bit of a trend for putting modulation before drive at the moment...didn't used to be like that. >:D<

Just pedals I mean, sorry. I've not got an FX loop and I like my amp pretty dirty. 

I've heard people suggest that modulation should generally go after drive on here before though in other threads..so what gives?  :-S :D
    Well, if you have an FX loop, and want to use the gain in the amp then I thought you put the modulations in the loop.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    hmmm, Wah, compressor, phaser before. Chorus, pitch, harmony after

But there are so many exceptions and phasers can sound great either side

Have a play, it's fun to sit and rearrange your board to see what sounds best, or is that just me?
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    The most bestest solution is to have before and after, so 2 of each.....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    All modulation after dirt.  Except for Wah, HAS to go in front.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • If we are counting wah then I have more dirt an mod stages.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4725
    Modulation after distortion, followed by reverb then delays. ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5169
    I have phaser and flanger before dirt and chorus, trem and delay after
  • I have my Flanger before all overdrives and distortion, but my phaser and tremolo between a EHX SF and a Clean boost, going into a slightly crunch amp.

Works for me and I have most bases covered. 

Do what ever you like the sound of, other than that who cares?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72419
    LastMantra said:

The set up I have just now (see "shows yer pedalboard") has   drive - mod - drive - mod - amp.  :)
    I think this is the right answer. As the number of drive and modulation pedals tends to infinity, the probability of being able to select either combination of any two pedals approaches 1. Therefore the correct number of pedals n to own must be d+m+1. If n = d+m, buy a pedal. If d>m, the pedal to buy is a modulation, and if d<m, a drive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I always have drive first - now I'll have to pull my boards apart and experiment with having stuff the other way round. Thanks guys. :D
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ICBM said:
    LastMantra said:

I think this is the right answer. As the number of drive and modulation pedals tends to infinity, the probability of being able to select either combination of any two pedals approaches 1. Therefore the correct number of pedals n to own must be d+m+1. If n = d+m, buy a pedal. If d>m, the pedal to buy is a modulation, and if d<m, a drive.
    Do what?

:D
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Bucket said:
    I always have drive first - now I'll have to pull my boards apart and experiment with having stuff the other way round. Thanks guys. :D

Simple, get more mods, and a bigger board, and have moods before and after dirt.

It's not rocket science.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom