What do we recon about 3x10?

pickergpickerg Frets: 30

Ok, so I have a tweed Bassman 5f6a Ceriatone clone head made by Martin @MartinW. ; Great amp which I'm currently running through a 2x12 G12H30 and V30.

I've managed to get a good deal on some blue frame alnico 10 inch speakers from an early 59 Bassman reissue.  Now, these are 8 ohm speakers so I was thinking of wiring them in series-parallel as my amp has 4, 8 and 16 ohm taps.  Would this sound much different to how a Bassman should sound, or would changing the transformer to a one with a 2 ohm option so it's more like the original be a better option - there seems to be conflicting info online about this, and whether using a 2 ohm tap from a 2, 4 and 8 ohm OT is a good idea or not?

The other option I was thinking was rather than going 4x10, for weight and portability I could use 3x10 speakers like the Bandmaster and a few other amps.  If this was wired to 2.66 ohm I could use the 4 ohm output?  What do people recon?  I realise the Bassman is a different circuit to the Bandmaster but wondered how it would be with 3x10?

Anyone else used 3x10 with other amps?

I play country rock, Americana etc. and like the just breaking up, cleans up with guitar volume type sound.

Any thoughts welcome, cheers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments