So Marshall JMPs...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    samzadgan said:

I remember reading the 2203 was basically a super lead with an extra gain stage...is that right?
    Roughly, yes. And a master volume of course.

There are some other small differences as well, but basically it's the same circuit modified rather than a different circuit. They're even built on the same PCB.
    samzadgan said:
    Gets off to a bad start by describing the Vintage Modern as "really great" though... which makes me think he's never seen inside one or had to fix one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Yeah i know the vintage modern comment isn't a great way to start...although, only talking about the tone, the vintage modern does have a good base clean tone, which i would rate better than most other modern marshalls
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Let me clarify the last comment...most modern marshall in a similar price bracket...not that i've tried any, but assume some of the pricier reissues may sound better
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    Any of the normal non-pricey reissues sound better and are far better built - actually good, in fact. They're still the best-made modern Marshalls other than the Hand-Wired series, and are roughly equivalent in quality to the late-70s JMPs which are among the best-made of all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    but it's miles easier to dial in than a DS-1. 
    That's not fair. The DS1 is pretty easy to dial in. You just set the tone pot to about 10:30 because if you set it anywhere else it sounds like unmitigated ass.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_Mc;426466" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

but it's miles easier to dial in than a DS-1. That's not fair. The DS1 is pretty easy to dial in. You just set the tone pot to about 10:30 because if you set it anywhere else it sounds like unmitigated ass.
    Disagree totally, the tone needs to be at about 10.32 and 28 seconds.

Anywhere else, and it's either muddy or ear piercing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Yeah :))

You also seem to lose a ton of bass if the tone knob goes much higher as well, to add insult to injury.