Condenser vs Dynamic microphone for recording guitar

What's Hot
I've been recording electric guitar tracks recently using a Samson USB condenser mic (my only decent mic) and it sounds okay to my ears so far. 

I know that things like the dynamic Shure SM57 are 'industry standard' bits of kit for this purpose, but in a nutshell are there any advantages in using a dynamic mic over a condenser for guitar? Is it mainly a questions of taste or is there more to it? And what do you prefer?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    edited November 2014
    In a nutshell? I've got quite big nutshells so here we go... :P

I've heard of plenty of pro engineers who don't like the SM57 on guitar, though there's obviously plenty that do. All that matters is that it sounds good to you!

I think it's hard to say that dynamics sound like one thing and condensers sound like another. I could take two dynamics, say an SM57 and an RE20 and they'll sound different to each other. And I could take two condensers, say industry standards like the U87 and the C414, and they'll sound different to each other too. They'll all take phenomenal volume so there's no worries there and they'll each do their own thing to the sound. I guess if I were to generalise massively I'd say condensers will tend to be more accurate and clear and dynamics will tend to be a bit more controlled with less sensitivity up top. If you have a condenser that's only rated for say 120dB then you might be limited to how close you can put it to a cranked amp.

I prefer whatever works in the song. Often it's an SM57 because they control the sound in a mix - they sound aggressive and tight and help stop the guitars from stepping over other stuff. With my Vox I like the RE20 because it's got great thick low mids, or a little Oktava pencil condenser mic again because of the low mids but with a bit more sheen on top. With heavy distortion I've got a large diaghram condenser that I like because it sounds big and clear and open and doesn't flatten and grain up the tone like an SM57 does - but it'd be no good if I want the guitar to sound like it's trying to climb out the speakers and punch you in the face!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    edited November 2014
    What kind of guitar @Skarloey

Between metal, rock, blues, pop, country the answer could change for each

What amp are you using?

The easiest answer is, if it sounds ok to your ears so far, great! But, that's not to say it couldn't better I spose.  I had a samson C01 xlr (I think that was the model...) and I liked it.  But I prefered the SM57 when I have got to use one.  That was with distorted rock sounds
  • I'm nowhere near a pro at these things, but I tend to use three mics on guitars if I'm recording anything that I want to use for quality audio. Usually a dynamic mic on one speaker (SM57 or Sennheiser E906), a condenser on the other (I'm rather partial to the SE2000) and a condenser room mic (Rode NT1A). Then getting it to sound right in the mix is just a case of a) sorting out the phase, and b) blending the mics to taste.
    <space for hire>
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Couldn't have put it better than @Cirrus did! Although as an addendum, I know a fair few guys (myself included) who'll use a 57 or similar up to the grille at the front of an amp and an LDC either a little way back or 'round the back if it's an open-back cab; obviously phase can become an issue but if you're listening carefully when you do your placement you can get a nice blend of the 'aggression' and the 'airiness' Cirrus described by mixing the two together.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    Yeah multiple mics is also an option! I do that on occasion too but not often more than a couple of feet from the amps in the room you've been in @IanSavage simply because all that carpet on the walls makes it dead enough sounding that the room's not got much to add.

If I had a nice open room with great reverb you bet I'd be putting a decent mic way out in the room more often than not!
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Thanks for the input everyone. Glad I asked this question because together you've helped clarify my thinking on the whole issue. 

@joeyowen I'm mainly a single coil player (Strat/ Tele) and I play through two 5 watt amps mainly: a non MV Orange and a MV Marshall. 

I've only tried the Orange so far with the condoner, and for this I get a drive tone I like using pedals at low volume. 

With the Marshall I use the amps own drive. Maybe when it comes to recording this full throttle I might want to invest in a dynamic based on what people are saying. 

As ever though my ears will be my guide. Thanks again. 

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Sound on sound have a lot of 'tech' articles that might help you. I always find them good for a nerdy read, might also be of some assistance :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    joeyowen said:
    Sound on sound have a lot of 'tech' articles that might help you. I always find them good for a nerdy read, might also be of some assistance :)
    I like SOS. I am already working my way through the 'classic tracks' section! 
  • Sound on Sound did a whole feature a few years back on mic'ing guitar amps complete with wav files of various dynamic and condenser mics and mic'ing positions.

If you can't find it online, I may still have the files somewhere.
    /\ Good call. Just found it. That's a nice bit of bedtime reading for me.  ;)

• Skarloey said:
    /\ Good call. Just found it. That's a nice bit of bedtime reading for me.  ;)

That's the one. Lots of wisdom in there.
  • I've been using one of each. I think I often prefer the sound of the condenser in isolation (sounds more raw and live to me, obviously more "roomy") but the dynamic seems to work a bit better in the mix (a bit tighter, more punch). That's what I have found anyway with my set up, I never have things *that* loud.
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    IanSavage said:
    Couldn't have put it better than @Cirrus did! Although as an addendum, I know a fair few guys (myself included) who'll use a 57 or similar up to the grille at the front of an amp and an LDC either a little way back or 'round the back if it's an open-back cab; obviously phase can become an issue but if you're listening carefully when you do your placement you can get a nice blend of the 'aggression' and the 'airiness' Cirrus described by mixing the two together.
    I use an SM56 for amps and a 57 for acoustic.