NMD! What is the best way to record?

ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
edited November 2014 in Studio & Recording tFB Trader
Ive just got a Blue Snowball ICE for £30 in the black friday deals on amazon. its lovely but its also my first foray into recording myself playing. what id like to know from you formats is this:

What is the best software for a beginner to record playing on?

FYI i have a Mac and currently own Garageband, i s this my best option or is there a better and simpler piece of software for the task?
Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• reaper
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    If you already have GB then give it a go. It's a good all round package and easy to pick up the basics. 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    edited November 2014 tFB Trader
    Skarloey said:
    If you already have GB then give it a go. It's a good all round package and easy to pick up the basics. 
    what I'm struggling with GB is this, when you go to choose a method of recording et al you get options for piano, acoustic electric, drums etc. all of these have modelled amps etc linked to them. when i choose the mic option i just get vocal choices. what id like is a mic option for recording instruments. i.e. a line in with no emulation and just a mixing desk or some such option. is that available in garageband? 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    @thorpy6 ;

What version of GB have you got? 

The help function's pretty good and has solved problems for me in the past. There are Youtube vids aplenty as well, many of them very good. 

If these draw a blank tell me the version you've got and I'll see if I can remember/ help. 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    Skarloey said:
    @thorpy6 ;

What version of GB have you got? 

The help function's pretty good and has solved problems for me in the past. There are Youtube vids aplenty as well, many of them very good. 

If these draw a blank tell me the version you've got and I'll see if I can remember/ help. 

I've got the latest version. Does that help?
    @thorpy6 ;

Okay so that makes it (I think) 10.0.3

Wat I'd do is open up GB

Plug your mic in (USB I assume) 

Go to Track>New Track

Under Audio choose 'record using a microphone or line input'. Where it says 'my instrument is connected with' choose your device

Then everything should be set up. You only apply the various effects etc if you choose the various effects. Otherwise what you hear is the straight sound of the mic picking up whatever is going into it.