Recording on a Laptop using Zoom G3

What's Hot
After this weekend, all (or at least most) of the decorating will be done and i will have time to delve into my new G3 properly. One of the things i want to try is recording using it.
Could someone who has done this already using one of these give me some guidance as to how to do it?
I have never ever recorded anything in my life and barely had a chance to discover much about the G3 except some of the amazing sounds it makes. I have read that some people use software called 'Reaper' but i was given Sequel LE with the unit as a freebie - Which of these would be better to use, or is there an entirely different one i should use. I believe i then need a 'Soundcloud' account - this is something else i have never had or used so although to those who do this, my questions might sound dumb, it's just unfamiliarity and any help i can get here will make it easier to understand.
ANY help with this whole subject would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1647

Forget Sequel IMHO. I dldd a demo some time ago and wasn't impressed, more for the cut and shunt merchants than making "linear" recordings.

Yes, go for Reaper. Free until you can't stand the nag after 60 days and as easy to use as any DAW (which is actually not a lot!) and easier than many.

Don't know the Zoom G3 but they are a top company and I ma sure have good documentation and helplines?

You don't need a "Sound cloud". It is used to move big music files across the internet but you can use Dropbox or any other of the suchwhich.

Dave.

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Thank you Dave, i will head in that direction them, with Reaper.

The documentation that came with the G3 is good and there is lots of info about, i'm juts brand new at this so any hints or tips are very helpful.

Thanks for your input.
    Okay so my G3 didn't come with a USB cable. I've been looking at them today and it's USB A to B or what we used to call a 'Printer Cable'.

Now I can get one for £2.99 which will work but there are also cables which are 'Audio Grade' and have copper strands, silver plated contacts and all kinds of other nice sounding stuff for £35.00
    Now yes I know the expensive option will be better but how much better?
    To put the question another way, while I get used to practice recording, will the cheap printer type work okay or should I just not bother until I can get the decent one?
    Is the decent one just snake oil?
  • REEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAPEEEEEERRRRRRRRR

It's awesome.  I only barely scrape the surface, and actually I've not been using *any* of it's real power recently as I... Can't be bothered.  

However, once you've got a handle on the basics, it's quite easy to actually record.  

If you've got any issues, let me know and we can meet up for a jam or something and if it's on a laptop, I'll talk you through the basics.  

But I mean the basics - I don't know any more than that :)

I have no idea about USB cables, but I doubt there is going to be much difference. 
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 353
    edited November 2014

Alnico said:
    ...I can get one for £2.99 .
    That's the one to get unless you like the smell of snake oil.

You will also need to install the ASIO[*] drivers for the G3 on the computer from here:

http://zoom.co.jp/downloads/g-asio/software/

3rd for Reaper. It's a steep learning curve, but they all are. Reaper just works, though - rock solid. There are also a shed-load of tutorials, etc. on yew-choob.

Get the G3 drivers installed & plug it in before you start Reaper. You should be able to choose the G3 from the 'ASIO' input devices in Reaper. By default, this will probably also be your output device which is OK as long as the G3 is also connected to an amp. If not, you should be able to select your sound card as an output.

There is a good guide here: http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Reaper_Documentation

Resign yourself to being as confused as hell for about a day and a half, but keep plugging away at it.

[*] remember it, but don't worry about it. N.B. If you've installed the Zoom ASIO drivers (as above), you *do not* need to install 'Asio4all' as often recommended...
    @Misterg

Thanks very much for all that. I will take my time and look into all this as much as i can (When i escape from redecorating hell after this weekend !).

Very much appreciate your help.
  • Alnico said:
    Okay so my G3 didn't come with a USB cable. I've been looking at them today and it's USB A to B or what we used to call a 'Printer Cable'.

Now I can get one for £2.99 which will work but there are also cables which are 'Audio Grade' and have copper strands, silver plated contacts and all kinds of other nice sounding stuff for £35.00
    Now yes I know the expensive option will be better but how much better?
    To put the question another way, while I get used to practice recording, will the cheap printer type work okay or should I just not bother until I can get the decent one?
    Is the decent one just snake oil?
    It won't be any better. No better at all. Totally bullshit.It's a digital signal, it'll get there or not.

It might be more robust, but you aren't going to be throwing it around, so the cheapy will be prefect.
    @chrispy108

Thanks for that.
    The one i ordered was £1.99 +£2.99 P+P.
    It says it transfers up to 480 Mbps and it is stated to be a 'High Speed' cable.

As soon as i've got to grips with the whole recording thing, i will post something up here with the results (and the ropey playing !)

Thanks again
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Alnico said:

Now I can get one for £2.99 which will work
    Link please?
    :)
    @close2u

Please forgive me, i can be such a Klutz sometimes. What good is posting that without a link to help others who didn't get a USB with their G3 !

Here the exact one i ordered from 'Cables 2 U' but if you scroll down at the bottom there are different lengths of the USB A - B cable. Mine was £1.99 + £2.99 P+P = £4.98.
    They accept paypal and when you're in checkout it will try to default to 2nd class mail at £2.29 but 1st class mail is only an extra 60p at £2.99 which is what we went for.
    Hope this helps.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1647

It is totally unforgiveable  to sell a product such as a USB interface without the correct cable.

USB A to B leads are ridiculously cheap* (2 mtr, A 2 B cpc.co £1.88) . I have read that even HDMI leads cost well under a $ to make so how much a USB?

For a cable 3mtrs or less buy as cheap as you can. I have had only one issue with cables. My NI KA6 interface would not lock on an old XP computer with one 5mtr lead but was fine with another brand. On Win 7 either cable worked fine.

Dave.

I have to say I agree Dave.
    When I opened the box I was a little disappointed. Even a TC electronic tone print pedal comes with a USB lead and given the function of the Zoom G3 it doesn't make sense to not include one.
    I don't so much mind the extra few quid cost but having to order one separately isn't a great idea on their part.
    Was I just unlucky or do they really not include one? I've been presuming this so far but it could just be mine that they forgot to put one into !
  • They don't include one. I actually don't have a problem with that, the USB functionality isn't an essential part of its operation. After all, other fx don't come with patch cables! Lots of printers don't come with the USB cable either. That seems far stranger to me.