Vox AC15C1 V Mesa Boogie

asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
Hi Guys

I am still pondering which amp to get so apologies for the questions.

I watched a youtube vid of a guy playing Sleepwalk on a Boogie,and it
sounded just like Hanks modern tone.

So is it possible to compare the sound of a Vox with a Boogie?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Very different amps!
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Voxman said:
    Very different amps!
    True, but it kinda highlights something.

Two quite different sounding clean amps both give a convincing tone of one player - the note choice and the way those notes are played with the gear you have is very important.  

I could never sound like Hank, even if he gave me all his kit...I just don't play like him. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24330
    Which model Boogie? There are loads of them!
  • asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    Thanks Guys

I was looking at the new Mark 5/25,or the Express plus 5/25,or if you would suggest something that would be fine.

Why i ask is i was told Mesa Boogie for Hank sound is not on,but i saw a guy on youtube playing Sleepwalk
    and the tone of the guitar was amazing,in fact just what i am looking for.

I have all the plugins but that smooth top end is not happening but i think i could find it on the Mesa.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72403
    Hank did in fact use a Boogie - an earlier Mark series I think - for some time around the 80s, not sure if he does now. And apparently he still sounded like Hank...

A Mesa of any description does not sound like a Vox, but with the right settings and player you can get closer than you might expect. They're very flexible usually too, especially the ones with the graphic EQ. By comparison a Vox generally does one thing (two if you count clean and overdriven) well.

Bucket was enthusiastic about the direct out sound of his Mark 5/25 with the built-in cab emulator.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    Hi ICBM

Thanks for the info,Hank did use a Mark IIC Mesa Boogie and as you say,still sounded like Hank.

That only makes me think even more that his sound is due to some outboard gear,there is a clip on youtube where he is being
    interviewed by an american guitarist,and he asks Hank to play Sleepwalk to demonstrate the use of the trem.

I have to say Hank sounded nothing like Hank in that clip,hell i can sound like that.

I like the thought of a Boogie for the smooth not tinny highs it produces,i know the only way is to try one
    but as usual there is no shop close to me.

Alan

• There's a Shads appreciation society in just about every town.  You can plug into their supplied amp and they have (usually) all the fx to duplicate the right sounds.

At Whitwell, for example, they played one set through a Lonestar.  Sounded fine and clean with the local strats and strat-alikes.

It also sounded pretty mean with a PRS, until they figured out that they could turn down the gain midway to the amp :(