Ring Modulators, what are their practical uses.

What's Hot
Ring modulators, I've got one, but I don't know how to use it tastefully, if that is possible. Has anyone on here got any handy tips on successfully employing them, or are they just there to make you sound like a dalek, a good dalek?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Get a ring modulator and a whammy pedal - put the whammy before the ring mod...

Play a solo... kick the ring mod on ... play a f***ed up solo at the climax kick the whammy and it sounds like the solo gets tuned out like swapping radio channels - great for playing another head with a saner solo ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited November 2014
    I think Tony Iommi used one on the record Paranoid solo. I'm not sure he uses it live though.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24351
    I used to use it for the intro to Butt Plug Baby.

Sorry... that's what we called it - Plug in Baby (Muse).

Though after I famously 'Les Dawson'ed' the intro at a gig by starting off on the wrong string - and couldn't stop - it thenceforth became known as 'Ear Plugs Baby'.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm not sure that this will answer your question, so apologies if what I write next is completely irrelevant....

I am primarily a rock player. All the techniques that I learned over the last 26 years have been aimed in that direction. As a result, I have bought effects pedals over the years, and generally ended up sounding like me. For example, I'd always gravitate to similar amounts of reverb, distortion or delay irrespective of the pedal or amp that I tried/bought. 

I'd listen to a lot of presets and not fathom how they'd ever be used, or why. That was largely due to me coming at those sounds with the preconception that somehow they were going to fit into a rock song.

Quite a while back, I discovered ambient music and all of a sudden some of the presets of bygone pedals began to make sense.

So this is most likely teaching you to suck eggs, but my take on a ring mod is that its a very hard effect to incorporate and for me, its a layer rather than a focus. So I'd never play anything with a ring mod in a solo for example, but I might have it blurping along, low in the mix, in a rhythmic idea. One of those things that fills out a song, you don't really know its there but would miss it if it wasn't.

I still play rock 90% of the time, but I'm slowly trying to think differently about other styles, what that means in terms of technique, (ee-gads, I'm now learning some very basic fingerstyle and hybrid picking), and what it means in terms of layers, effects and mixes. And that's where a ring mod for me might come into play.

Hope that helps, and sorry I don't have any examples!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • if you listen to Incubus SCIENCE there is a lot of ring modulator going on. 

He uses its as a kind of distorted tone rather than a weird robot noise if you know what I mean. 

Plug in baby is played on a ZVEX fuzz factory I think
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17638
    tFB Trader
    Harry Maes plays some cool ring mod stuff here:

Jeff Beck uses one quite a bit. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Tuning it to a fifth above the tonic note is my new thing.

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    If 'tasteful' is important, it can be used with a blender to add a layer of lunacy to your basic sound.
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Though after I famously 'Les Dawson'ed' the intro at a gig by starting off on the wrong string - and couldn't stop - it thenceforth became known as 'Ear Plugs Baby'.
    Did that on She Sells Sanctuary last week, and again on The Hunter - it was a black night.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • I've got one but it's tuned as an Octaver - Lovepedal Believe.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • It depends on your modulator. The EHX Ring Thing is great for all the usual pitch/Whammy type stuff. The absolute best I've used is the Mog ring modulator (the big expensive one). Utterly amazing, went into trem territory and with some creative pedal use after it could come up with sounds I've only heard out of synths. Brilliant pedal. 

• Harry Maes plays some cool ring mod stuff here:

He's the most intense player ever.

I love him.
  • Harry Maes plays some cool ring mod stuff here:

He's the most intense player ever.

I love him.
    he looks like he is trying to track a fart with his nostrils
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.