Vox Lil Night train Speaker question

jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12359
Picked up one of these recently, I love it although the sound is a little lacking in body. So If I replaced the 10" speaker with something decent would it improve the sound or do the dimensions of the cab make it this way? It is quite a shallow cab at around 6 inches deep. So do I just make a new cab out of pine and put in a decent 12" speaker?

What do you think?
"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gubblegubble Frets: 1746

I had one of these and agree with your comments about the sound lacking a bit of body.

I've read online that some people have either removed or added foam to the cab to help improve the sound (either or I can't remember).

Many i miss that little amp.

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636

Do you not have another amp with speaker that you can patch across to pro-tem to see what improvement, if any might be possible.

(do you ever pass Northampton at all? I understand that you would not want to stop!)

Dave.

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I fancied one of these because they look cool, no help I know :D
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    I haven't tried the amp or cab but I'm guessing most likely a bit of both. If the stock speaker is rubbish a better speaker will help but it'll still be limited (at least to a certain extent) by the small cabinet as well... I suspect ecc83 is on the money, if you can try a better speaker without wasting money that'd be the thing.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    There is a simple mod - removing one of the caps on the circuitboard that makes a big improvement. 
    Still sounds very voxy but cuts a tiny it of shrillness and seems to improve the perception of body.
    I did it to both of mine.
    Look it up - I found the details on line here

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12359
    Cheers guys, Im doing the c19 mod tomorrow, I'll see how it goes
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    tFB Trader
    Yup - C19- that's the one.
    You may still enjoy trying different cabs or speakers but the C19 mod is a good start

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

tFB Trader
    If anyone is interested I will be selling my 2 as I have way too many amps.
    They both have the C19 mod and Martin at MJW modded them so there is a power section line in so you can just use it as a power amp with a POD or pedal or other preamp (I was running my stereo rack through two of them but have since bought Digitalscream's Marshall 20/20 power amp, so they are not being used any more)

Tomorrow I'm also sticking in a couple of EH 12ax7s and lining the cab with the filling from an old cushion
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    OK so Ive done a few mods, swapped out the chinese valves for EHX 12AX7's snipped C19 and stuffed the cab with cushion filling. It sounds like a proper amp now, the harsh treble has gone and the bottom end has much improved. The gain is much better too sounds more full and not ratty like before.

So a few simple mods really made the difference,The thing is though, it should sound like this out of the box.

I may try a JJ 12ax7 in V2 to see what that does though as I have one lying around.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"