I don't care about amps anymore...

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
Between my Diezel D-Moll, VHT Sig X, and the Kemper Profiling Amp... I just don't give a toss about amps anymore. I just wish I could get to a similar place when it comes to FX pedals!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Good news! I feel the same about pretty much all my gear right now. I just fancy trying some new pickups. I don't check s/h or eBay searches anymore though, that and searching YouTube, soundcloud, and various forums was consuming far too much of my life previously.
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
    edited November 2014
    God, I wish I could get to that point!

I have been oscillating about whether to keep my Switchblade or not and tonight I plugged into my TH-30 and it just sounded like a big bucket of fizz. I want to sell everything and start again!

Thinking I might talk to Martin at Martamp to see if he can make something for me that I actually like.
  • I'm the same, but it was a slightly cheaper journey - my Jet City and Soldano are enough for me. I'm pretty focused in my tastes when it comes to tone, and they do everything I want.
    <space for hire>
  • I just use the same Matamp head i've used for the last 9/10 years
    Old Is Gold
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Glad to hear it...that latest recording you did sounded great, can easily see why you wouldnt want another amp after that.

Im the same with amps too...but i recently got there with pedals too...such a good feeling to look at classifieds and not want anything.

Im hoping that in about a week i will be over my guitar gas too
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    I've pretty much managed it with guitars. I could get a Telecaster, but I'm not that bothered.

Amps I'm kind of happy with. The H&K Puretone is well made and has an excellent clean tone, but I've ended up with it because I cannot get on with the drive channel of any amp with a non shit clean sound. I'm sure they exist, but for the time being I'm parking it with a potential GAS storm hitting me in a year or two. 

Pedals are just a never ending thing with me. I thought I was close, but I can see me selling loads of stuff and pretty much starting again for about the tenth time. Specifically getting rid of the two Strymons on my board. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12359
    I still gas for vintage valve amps, not necessarily expensive ones but the more obscure ones that were cheap when they came out. I haven't got any though......
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    monquixote;429091" said:
    I've pretty much managed it with guitars. I could get a Telecaster, but I'm not that bothered.

Amps I'm kind of happy with. The H&K Puretone is well made and has an excellent clean tone, but I've ended up with it because I cannot get on with the drive channel of any amp with a non shit clean sound. I'm sure they exist, but for the time being I'm parking it with a potential GAS storm hitting me in a year or two. 

Pedals are just a never ending thing with me. I thought I was close, but I can see me selling loads of stuff and pretty much starting again for about the tenth time. Specifically getting rid of the two Strymons on my board. 
    Oh I've been there with guitars for years. I've toyed with the idea of a strat or tele, but that has never really gone anywhere. My Black Beauty Les Paul is all I really need. B-)
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I've not even plugged my new amp in yet and I'm looking at others.

I need a doctor.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9551
    edited November 2014
    Drew,

I'd love to be in that place mate... but I'm getting there...

I think that the real difficulty is 1.) identifying THAT sound in your head  2.) then matching that sound to equipment.

And, it's a long and potentially expensive lesson to learn...!

Here is my attempt to 'try' and label, describe and realise the sounds that are in my head (!)

These are;

1.  Warm, smooth cleans with chiming bass (Fender ish)

2.  Bell like ringing chimes (Vox ish)

3.  Bear with me here - Southern American swampy, blues tones (think Southern Comfort soundtrack). {By the way, why is THAT sound in my head ?!?}

4.  Crisp, low gain overdrive  - Marshall tones (easiest to obtain by pedal imho)

5.  Chiming, shimmering BF Tones (Redplate ish, Fender ish)

6.  Overdriven tweed, Stones - Tweed (Falcon territory)

These have led to my amp choices. All other purchases have met some of these needs, but these 3 latest amps will nail MOST of em ! The Vox is the more elusive one... This drew to the Bad Cat and Dr Z previously.... A Wampler Ace Thirty may have to suffice for now !

The amp that covers most of this ground is my magnificent Carr Rambler...

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited November 2014
    I've come to accept that I need at least two amps to cover my most used, favourite tones.

A Marshall cleanish style amp - something like a jtm 45, or a fender bassman. This is what my next amp will be.

A 6505+ head with 4x12. Nothing else will do. I've looked extensively.

My compromise? I'm having a jtm/bassman type head built but with more headroom, a couple of 6l6's and an effects send/return so I can use it as a power amp with something like an amt p2, blackstar ht metal or similar. This will go into a 2x12 cab probably.

Glad you've found sonic happiness drew. You've had one HELL of a journey, and a lot of drool worthy amps to find your way to the sig-x and D-Moll.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1621
    @Wazmeister. Given No4, Waz, it might interest you to know that while the Weehbo JTM sounds best through a Plexi (it just sounds like the Plexi cranked) it LOVES the Sportsman too. I can't see me buying another amp now. A tweed is the only base i haven't covered and my hankering has waned

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72403
    My only interest in amps is the question of whether to sell my second Trem-o-verb and buy something more portable or not.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    My only interest in amps is the question of whether to sell my second Trem-o-verb and buy something more portable or not.
    Alternatively, buy a forklift. Always another way...
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Mark V 25 :)
    No. I don't like Marks - and before you say Rectoverb 25, I didn't like the Mini Rectifier either.

I suspect if I do, it will be something completely different. I really liked my Traynor YCV20, apart from the background noise and the poor design and build quality - but still the best-sounding small amp I've had.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    No. I don't like Marks - and before you say Rectoverb 25, I didn't like the Mini Rectifier either.

I suspect if I do, it will be something completely different. I really liked my Traynor YCV20, apart from the background noise and the poor design and build quality - but still the best-sounding small amp I've had.
    Sell it and ask for a custom MJW ;)
    Sell it and ask for a custom MJW ;)
    Sadly I doubt I could afford it. Trem-o-verbs don't go for that much.