Stiff fingers / finger joint/knuckle pain

For the past few months, after playing guitar, even for just a few minutes, I get a dull ache in my finger joints afterwards. This starts a while after, not immediately, but can last for days. 

I also get this when carrying out other tasks, e.g. carrying a bag (not heavy) for any length of time where my fingers are under tension and in a set position for a while.

Is this the start of arthritis or something else? Anyone else get this?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15515
    yup, get it in my left hand when I play a lot of acoustic, tis one of the reasons I took up the fiddle TBH, to help relieve the strain on the left hand.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• It does sound like 'old age' starting to say hello. I've just turned fifty and little aches and strains are becoming more the norm for me, too.

You could try taking a Glucosamine supplement if you don't already. Taking a supplement has helped me with some knee pain I was getting and I've seen it work wonders on old arthritic dogs, so it can't all be placebo effect.
    ;)

Good posture and proper warm ups become important as the body's youthful vigour dwindles, too.
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    i have something similar, had a variety of arthritis tests and all came back negative.

the solution for me is light strings, low action, and not playing fast/hard without a break
    and avoiding lifting heavy things as much as possible, or in a way that compresses the joints

also look at general health/exercise/posture, nutrition and getting enough omega fatty acids/vitamin d, getting daily sunlight
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Thanks all for your responses. The weird thing is that I don't get this much in my left hand, I tend to get it more in my right hand - I normally play fingerstyle, haven't used a pick for years.

@steamabacus - I think you're right, it could be time for the fish oil and glucosamine supplements :)
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Time for the fish-oil ... guys, looking after your body isn't a begrudging concession! Ho-hum, I'm over 50, time to start belieiving stuff will never get better again ... It's one of my Karate instructors 57th birthday today and frankly he could outrun me and whipe the floor with me, still. Don't go gently into that dark night!!

I'd investigate circulation (give up smoking if you smoke), finger stretching exercises, finger warm up exercises, ambient temperature and diet (sudden onset of arthritis may be due to allergies).

It's unlikely to be long term arthritic unless you've had injuries before or do some serious work with your fingers that may strain them... and unless you're Dick Dale I doubt it's going to be down to playing guitar...

I'd bet money it's circulation ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    yeah i have the same thing ..sometimes i think its with the colder weather but i think its a age thing really...the more i practice though the more it eases so i try to look on it as a good thing.. :)
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11595
    tFB Trader
    Some good answers on here already with Glucosamine, fish oil, diet issues and warm up 
    I find that Arnica Gel can help with the pain too  - can find it at health food shops

I get similar pains sometimes after dressing, and crowning frets - partly old age & RSI but damn painful.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!