NAD - One Of Your Five A Day

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    The HW looks way simpler.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Voxman said:

The HW looks way simpler.
    I think it is, although not that much - there are a fair few components bundled on top of each other around the preamp valve sockets and the controls so they're not as obvious as when they're spread out flat on a PCB.

It does seen to be true that simpler circuits have a more natural, open tone - although there are certainly complex amps that sound good too.

One of the things I like about ancient solid-state amps is that they're very much more like valve amps in this way - some are even PTP! or at least tag-strip construction - and to me, they have something of the same *tone*, even if the overdriven *sound* is completely different... if that makes sense.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited December 2014
    Donkeys years ago I came across and played through a 1x12 30w all transistor amp that was just amazing and sounded and responded uncannily like a tube amp. Pretty expensive in its day and heavy, but it was so good I think Pete Thownsend had one. DSP modelling came in and the company shut down. I can't remember what it was called....blue angel or blue something. But it made me realise just how good a tranny amp could be.

Just remembered what it was - Blue Tone Pro30M.
    https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/33999-hello-blue-tone-amps.html
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Quick high gain Play through of the HWTT

So what goes on with the guitar in the first vid. Sort of looks like an EBMM EVH/Axis maybe even a Peavey Wolfie including the gap in the end of the fingerboard for the truss rod adjust but never seen one without the binding & control knob layout
  • John_BlackWolfJohn_BlackWolf Frets: 137
    edited December 2014

DrBob said:
    Quick high gain Play through of the HWTT

So what goes on with the guitar in the first vid. Sort of looks like an EBMM EVH/Axis maybe even a Peavey Wolfie including the gap in the end of the fingerboard for the truss rod adjust but never seen one without the binding & control knob layout
    The guitar's actually a custom from JetCity Guitars in Seattle. Based on the MM Axis design.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That guitar looks absolutely fucking stunning. 

Is there a thread on it?  If not, may I request one? 
  • That guitar looks absolutely fucking stunning. 

Is there a thread on it?  If not, may I request one? 
    Haha I had a build thread on the Music Radar forum when it was made a few years ago.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Is that company in any way related to Jet City amps? If not, massive potential for confusion! Probably not to the benefit of the guitar company if they're assumed to be the guitar equivalent of Chinese-made licenced Soldano amps...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Is that company in any way related to Jet City amps? If not, massive potential for confusion! Probably not to the benefit of the guitar company if they're assumed to be the guitar equivalent of Chinese-made licenced Soldano amps...
    No relation, but I also thought the same. Seattle = The Jet City

GUITAR THREAD: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/30080/jetcity-guitars-my-own-custom