Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How Many Amps Should I Have?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    hywelg;431913" said:
    I'd say that since an amp is an instrument in its own right probably4.

Something AC30ish

Something old school Marshall

Fender big bold cleans BF Super

Somethin modern, hot rodded Marshall maybe or highgain

Could also argue for

Hiwatt, TweedTwin (keef style), Matchless/BadCat, D clone, and something low wattage for home use.

Nearly up to 10 there.
    I think it depends on the sounds you want and whether you want to emulate other ones, or how accurately. I can be totally happy with just one amp, or two at a push. For example I can get all four of the sounds you list first out of my main amp, and passable approximations of most of the others. I admit not all at the same time or with settings you can switch between on the fly, but it isn't easy to do that with four amps either! And I know many people will say one amp can't do all that. Yes it can, if you don't want exact clones of the sounds, just close enough that you can use them for the same sort of music.

I currently own four because I have two of my favourite one, a handy cheap solid-state amp and an old curiosity - which is the only sort of sound my main amp can't get close to. Two are for sale, although I'm not trying very hard...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    Thanks guys,AC15 now,Mesa Boogie in January,sorted.

• The answer to the question is exactly the same answer to how many guitars, fx, girfriends, novelty mugs etc. You need more than you already have. 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4305
    edited December 2014
    ICBM said:
    I think it depends on the sounds you want
    Well of course. Pro musicians who know their sound will probably have fewer than those but, I know I like to plug into something different for a change because it changes the way I play, and it changes what I play rather than the same old same old.

I have 5 amps, 3 of which cover very similar territory, i.e the sound I use with the band. But I also have a Plexi50 clone and a DC30 clone which are quite different and inspiring in their own way. I still hanker after other styles of amp. I dont doubt if I get the hot rodded Marshall I am currently gassing for, I will want something else in addition, soon after.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11992
    10 guitars => Need 5 amps
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24662
    HAL9000 said:
    n + 1 where n is the number of amps currently owned.
    This.

I think it's actually the law.
  • I can't really talk, as I've not gigged in a long long time ...

I think the setup I have is pretty solid for covering all my bases (even if I did actually gig):

- Mesa Mark V head and 2x12 (covers band, plus the most amazing cleans)
     - JCM900 master volume head (plug in an SD1 and thrash away - eq in the loop optional)
     - Princeton 68 custom (just fun to use, and would be great for small gigs)
     - the mighty, mighty Laney 120 World series 2x12 combo (for when you don't trust the venue, but need soul crushing volume)
     - Roland micro cube (it looks like a radio) - Great for very quiet practicing. There's not even a gain control for the dist/OD, so you have to just roll off the volume.

I used to play nothing but the Roland until by some accidental Jedi mind trick I asked the missus if she'd mind having the Mesa in the front room (of our tiny flat) and she said "no problem".

I've kept the Laney as it was my main gigging amp from the 90's (and it's worth about a £1)

I did sell the JCM900 to Sam, but ended up buying it back when he wanted shut of it (it has sentimental value).

Anyway ... I'd argue I have the right number, and it's 5. See above for justification.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2468
    I think 2 amps is perfectly reasonable. I have 3 and could use a 4th (space is now the limiting factor rather than anything else).
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    I have 2, a Peavey C30 and a Laney LC30II and I reckon that's enough for me anyway, further flexibility I get with pedals and a 1x12 cab..
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
    If you have the space and budget go for it! Its great to have variety, choice and back-up rigs. I have 10 guitars too plus five amps (6 if you count my little Vox Mini3). I like them all, and use them for different needs:

Marshall Valvestate 8080 mk1
    Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
    Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX
    Laney VC30-210
    Laney Cub 12R (with Celestion Vintage 30)

Sadly, now out of room for anything more! :-<
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    Keep seeing these words "need" and "reasonable". Going to have to look them up

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11942
    2 amps here.

Yamaha THR10. Grab and go, I got it running on rechargeable batteries at the moment. So easy to grab it and play. No worry about power source, put it on the coffee table and rip it up.

Bogner Atma. My "proper" amp, plenty loud enough for me and all the versatility I want in a small package.
  • I'd rather have more amps than guitars...if I was to be a collector it would likely be of amps rather than guitars. Having said that I only have 1 amp at the moment, plus one of those ehx pedal amps as a backup.
  • I have an AFX - which in itself is multiple amps.  I tend to use 4 or 5 different ones.   I also have a Fender Machete which is less as a second amp (due to my first comment), but both a backup if anything happens, a pick up and go solution and a valve reference.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 922

I have 3, but 2 of them are similar(ish)

Vibrolux Reverb for gigging (could do with being bigger)

Laney VC15 for home noodling

Fender Champion 110 (cheapy ss that I've had since being a kid but wont sell)

Think I actually need something a touch bigger than the vibrolux. So I would say you need 3 amps. 1 big gigging amp, one smaller gigging amp (which also acts as back up), and a home amp.