Cab recommendations please.

fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24334
I have a lovely Dual Rec. 

At the moment I only have an EVH 1x12 cab with a 30W G12H in it - so I can't safely crank it

I would like a bigger cab so the amp can actually sit on it properly. But beyond that I'm open to suggestions.

A standard 2x12? I wide 1x12 to keep the weight down? Closed or open back? What speaker choice, especially if it's a 1x12 and I want to turn it up?

The only thing I'm sure about is that I don't want a 4x12. Too big.

Ideas please?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    edited December 2014

its hard to find a 1x12 cab that will be big enough, and also you get much better sound out of more speakers, even at low volumes

I would suggest a 2x12...closed back...and i'm pretty sure Mesa's usually come with V30's...which is fine, but since you are starting from scratch, why not combine a V30 with some type of Greenback...or even Creamback.

If you want to keep size down, you could get a compact 2x12...pretty sure Zilla does them, and they are really nice. I've had one before and for the size it still moved a lot of air...

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471

This is pretty good...and you can change speakers to what you want, but that cab is quite good for the money.

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/18779/fs-laney-gs212-2x12-cab-75#latest

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    I got an MJW cab from the builder here. It's an oversize 1x12 and it has a removable slat on the back so I can run it open back or closed. Build quality is fantastic, Martin was very helpful and it looks and sounds the mutts. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Harley Benton G212 Vintage. Two V30s, all-ply, under £200 new delivered.

They do sound a bit middy compared to a proper Rectifier 2x12", but unless you specifically want the deep 'recto' sound it's probably not too much of a problem. The guitarist in my band just got one to go with his Jet City 50W head, it seems to sound good with that... although it didn't work so well with his real SLO for some reason.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The recto cabs are heavy and bulky.  60LB is a lot, especially when the handle is over a foot away irrespective of how you carry it.

I bought a Blackstar HTV 1x12 which my Stiletto Deuce sits nicely on top of, with a 3cm overhang on each side, which isn't a problem for me.  It has an 80w Celestion in, according to the card, but I haven't had any reason to crank it as it's in the house pretty much all the time.

Shop floor model. Cost £150 IIRC.
  • I've a Laney Cub 2x12 in good condition at £100 to your door if of interest?
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Mesa vertical recto 212 is the one.
  • Horizontal Recto 2x12 is the best match for a Dual IMO. The HB will work for cheap, but the proper Mesa cab is bigger and has differently voiced speakers.

I have two Recto 2x12s, one with 2xV30s and one with a Creamback H75 and a V30. I prefer 2 V30s if I'm honest so far, but the H75 only has about 6 or so band volume hours on it yet, not sure if it will change anymore yet. That cab is brighter and looser than the 2xV30 cab. The 2xV30 cab is darker and chunkier.
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 717
    edited December 2014
    I'd played all the cabs mesa had, and preferred the v30 2x12 closed back (horizontal) for both the mkV and Mini Recto.

That had the classic sound I was after.

Oddly though, I don't like it so much with my JCM900. I actually prefer the 2x12 laney world series combo (as a cab - whatever speakers they were originally we reconed). I'm kind of saying "it depends"...

Also bear in mind that the 2x12 recto cab I have is both pretty big and heavy. They are quite a "commodity" item though, so there's always people wanting and selling them (so you could buy and sell it pretty much at cost). That is affected a bit by the weight though (and your location).