John Frusciante plays the guitar wrong

What's Hot

Interesting comment around the 6:17 mark. I'm working my way through the Learn and Master guitar course and this (along with every other teacher I have had) would say that this is an incorrect hand position and you should not be using your thumb.

Horses for courses I know, but thought it might be comfprting for those of us who have picked up bad habits along the way.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Thumb-over? it's quite common among non-classical guitarists........

I use it quite a lot, but do the thumb behind the neck too, depends on what is/needs to be played at the time.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    I use my thumb a lot.....I take no notice of people that say "thats wrong"

good enough for Jimi and Fru............
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    Not just the thumb-over, but that he would choose to play a barre chord with the thumb rather than the long index finger.

• Can't view the clip right now, but the thumb over technique is totally valid.....that Hendrix chap used it a hell of a lot ;-)
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Bloody guitar teachers! Barney Kessel:

...excuse to post that, but seriously, there are chords you can't play without using the thumb. Not everyone does it, but it is a legitimate technique. I guess the teachers are concerned that the pupil won't learn learn to play the proper way with the thumb at the back of the neck - and yes there are good reasons why you should be able to do that. But it is possible to have both techniques, and be able to switch.
    TinLip said:
    Not just the thumb-over, but that he would choose to play a barre chord with the thumb rather than the long index finger.
    That IS 'thumb over'
    1nten5e said:
    I use my thumb a lot.....I take no notice of people that say "thats wrong"

good enough for Jimi and Fru............
    I do too, mostly because that's what feels most comfortable for me. I can't remember when last I played an F chord without my thumb, especially when making a very common C to F or F to C chord change.

• Wilko Johnson also does it a lot. I find it easier on slimmer necks as I have relatively short digits.

R.
    TinLip said:

I do too, mostly because that's what feels most comfortable for me. I can't remember when last I played an F chord without my thumb, especially when making a very common C to F or F to C chord change.
    You're choosing to play a barre chord with your thumb rather than the long index finger? Madness
    1nten5e said:
    TinLip said:

You're choosing to play a barre chord with your thumb rather than the long index finger? Madness
    Tell my teacher...

• LOVE THAT MAN SO MUCH. 

I've recently written a good chunk of a song based on his two note inventions ideas.  It's a really wonderful way to play, leaves lots of room for a strong vocal melody. 

Which I can't sing. :)
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    playing barre chords without the thumb is a recognised technique that I haven't got fully to grips with but do use for songs (like chilli pepper songs) which require it.

IIRC the chorus chords in Dani California have an open G in the middle of the (otherwise) bar chord and wassname, Tush by ZZ top uses the thumb.

Thumbs allow the fingers to do lots of other weird shit and fret different notes, whereas a barre is kinda limiting.  I guess the big But is that you also have to learn how to do a barre chord properly - so learn the barre first and then migrate to whatever works

but it is bollox IMHO to say that it is "wrong"
    nickp said:
    playing barre chords without the thumb is a recognised technique that I haven't got fully to grips with but do use for songs (like chilli pepper songs) which require it.

IIRC the chorus chords in Dani California have an open G in the middle of the (otherwise) bar chord and wassname, Tush by ZZ top uses the thumb.

Thumbs allow the fingers to do lots of other weird shit and fret different notes, whereas a barre is kinda limiting.  I guess the big But is that you also have to learn how to do a barre chord properly - so learn the barre first and then migrate to whatever works

- that was, of course, with tongue firmly in cheek.

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited December 2014
    nickp said:

I don't agree that you HAVE to do anything, or indeed that there is a PROPER way of playing guitar. It's art.
  • nickp said:

I don't agree that you HAVE to do anything, or indeed that there is a PROPER way of playing guitar. It's art.
    It's not when I play. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I use my thumb for barre chords often.  I'll alternate between that and my index finger, depending on what other fingers I want free at the time to add other things.  Never thought it was weird!
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --

• It's not when I play. 
    :^o

I've heard you play. :)
  • The only song ive ever learned that needed thumb over was hero of the day by metallica although I can play it without, ive never really found it comfortable to do this, what chord shapes to people use for it?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7150
    I use thumb over to play 'Killing Floor' riff as I can then play lead lines whilst holding down the rhythm guitar at the same time.

Practically always use my thumb to fret lower three strings on chords and 'shuffles'.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway