Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Small bass amp for home use

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24381
    Did you play with the Taste control? Turned left it is sterile, but turned right it really warms up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72419
    Did you play with the Taste control? Turned left it is sterile, but turned right it really warms up.
    I can't remember, but it would be unlike me not to try the full range of all the knobs :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    I am still at the early learning stage with my bass, an Aria STB. My low powered guitar amps 'work' as a bass amp, but not very well. Grunt or growl is non existent. I like to keep things simple, straight in is my hoped for result. No pedals if that is possible.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

edited November 2015
    @Fretmeister, I had a look at TecAmp Puma Combo 112 Classic, available from Thomann, http://www.thomann.de/ie/tecamp_puma_combo_112_classic.htm.
    It looks great, is available for immediate delivery but, alas, is out of my price range. 

The MarkBass range is also available from Thomann, MarkBass CMD JB Players School Combo, http://www.thomann.de/ie/markbass_cmd_jb_players_school_combo.htm
    is closer to what I am in a position to spend.  The specs look good but who am I to say.  For home use and the occasional get together with my friends, it seems to fit the bill.  
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

I think Timmyo had the players school combo. He was impressed with it.

Jeff Berlin is a very picky sod so I can't imagine he would let his name go on a crap product. He's not a brand whore.
    edited December 2015
    Looked at and tried out a number of small bass combos yesterday in Dublin. Surprised at the decent sounds available, the bass sound in my head (soft not peaky but powerful) was easily achieved on every combo I tried. An EBS Session sounded great for not a lot of money. A MarkBass combo sounded awesome, in fact the 'best' I tried by a fair margin, but it was the most expensive. By a fair margin too. Lots to think about including how to get my car close to the shops (not far from the Grafton Street area). And I need to check that the combo will fit into my music room. I think it comes down to choosing between the EBS and the MarkBass. Leaning towards the MarkBass but it costs a lot. Must sleep a bit more on it...

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Keep an eye out on the classifieds on Basschat.

You may well find a Mark Bass bargain if you are patient.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6083
    I really liked the Ampeg BA110 I used to have. I sold it when I moved house. They also do a BA108 which would be good for home use. The cab has a built in tilt which is handy. Amazon sell them so you can always return it if it's not up to expectations.

Any thoughts on the Roland CUBE 60 BASS? Same price range and around the same size as a Fender Rumble 100. Saw one yesterday but had no chance to try it out...

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

The 30 is superb. If the 60 is the same preamp with a bigger power amp you won't go far wrong.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Blueingreen;552536" said:
    When I played bass (a few years ago now) the standard issue bass practice amp seemed to be the Peavey Microbass, which had a "best in class' reputation although to be fair I didn't personally compare it with others.  It was a solidly built piece of kit that sounded pretty good for its size ie it got the job done.  I even used it for a few drummerless rehearsals.

I owned two and from memory one cost £75 used which was a good price at the time  .  So I thought I was practically giving them away when I advertised them locally at £25 a pop (they are still in excellent nick).  I got no takers.  I gave one to a nephew and still have the other.  

If you're just looking for something functional you might be able to pick up one of those cheap.
    @blueingreen you might be pleased to know that the microbass makes a decent clean amp for guitar too. I had mine setup last week with a telecaster into reverb and a memory toy and it was awesome.
  • Thanks for that info WtP.  Might come in handy although I have a THR10C and old Microcube so I'm pretty well off for portable practice amps.  The Yamaha is out of commission with some sort of fault in the power connection but it's still under Thomann guarantee so I'm just about to ship it back for repair.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”