Tell me about sonos or equivilents

2»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17668
    tFB Trader
    dindude said:
    Seriously, I think the Sonos is for people who don't understand technology, it's just simply packaged for convenience. 
    Nah don't agree with that. 

I don't want a PC or my TV running all the time and compare the cost of a Sonos 1 at £169 to a Mac Mini plus another speaker (assuming in either case you probably have a smartphone).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17668
    tFB Trader
    HAL9000 said:
    Also been thinking about this but am concerned that AFAIK there is no provision for playing my existing CDs (and I don't fancy spending the time ripping my existing collection) unless it is possible go use the CD drive in the laptop and somehow stream it from there. However, I don't know if that is possible. Also since the SONOS seems to consist of individual, rather than paired, speakers I assume that any stereo separation disappears.
    The Heos lets you share the line in around the house so you could use it to stream CDs. 
    You can make the Sonos and Heos into stereo pairs.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    edited December 2014
    I love the Sonos system(i use the Bridge). just remember your Nokia Phone will not download the app.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    Not everyone wants to be a technology whizz kid! Sonos provide a simple music streaming solution, one that nerds can replicate for "free". In my home, the Sonos network is better than wi-fi, better as in less drop outs. I think the Sonos concept is brilliant and have no worries in recommending it. Especially so as it can be extended within the home later as requirements change.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• AidanspaghettiAidanspaghetti Frets: 855
    edited July 2017
    Im just about to buy a sonos play 1 - just a quick one - can I stream direct from my ipad or do I need to buy a dock or something?
    Thanks...
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2334
    Google chrome cast? I have a couple of the audio ones. Plug into the amp and speakers and sound awesome.  Appreciatecan take a bit more space but an old amp and speakers are going to sound a lot better imo.. Or just buy a nice speaker and plug the chrome cast into it.

You can link them as well so if you have a couple of rooms you want then you can set up groups etc. Use whatever app you want on your phone 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300
    Well this is a blast from the past. I now have e Sonos systems so I think it's fair to say I would reccoemnd them!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2940
    not sonos but I have a set of these in the kitchen and they sound very good

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edifier-R1700BT-Bluetooth-Bookshelf-Speaker-x/dp/B06XGGM4R3/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1499004501&sr=8-3&keywords=edifier+bluetooth+speakers

I have majority of music on phone so stream from there, also spotify and radio and podcasts, all through the phone.