Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

A 'friendly' steer on pricing...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ParkerParker Frets: 960

It comes back to audience again though. I love you guys on here, but there aren't many of you compared to Ebay.

I use Ebay and then vow never to use it again due to the fees, and instead pass on most of the saving of those fees to classifieds and here. But take my Ashdown amp as an example. Disregarding that it was built for Embrace and has played in front of 100's of thousands of people on world stages over the last decade (and so the Ashdown team have done something right!), its quality is second-to-none. I had a Bad Cat that wasn't as well built. Its a UK made amp. I have it for sale on here for £450.....Not a sniff. Thats the price of a Fender or Marshall mass-produced amp! So, it's really back off to Ebay to sell it.

My point is that you can end up not selling a bargain on here, due to lack of peeps, which then makes you readjust the price even further, to an artificially low one, until someone takes it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453
    edited December 2014
    Parker said:
    My point is that you can end up not selling a bargain on here, due to lack of peeps, which then makes you readjust the price even further, to an artificially low one, until someone takes it.
    This is true.  I had a Line 6 FBV Shortboard that I sold a while back.  There were no takers on here even when I reduced it to a really low price.  I put it on Ebay and got about £40 more than I was asking on here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    /\ Yup. Right there. Its all about market and the number of potential people who may want to buy something...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    impmann said:
    EXACTLY - you take an average. 

Sadly some (usually the vocal ones) will then say its worth the lower of those two sums... and won't have it any other way because they can prove one sold for that sum.

Indeed.  If some plonker sticks a £1000 guitar on ebay for £200, it isn't suddenly a £200 guitar - it's a bargain of gargantuan proportions.  Idiocy of the seller isn't an indicator of value.  :D
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    What always puzzles me is that there is a particular model of an iconic guitar which is often asked about in terms of how much for a good second hand one.  The answer to the query is always around the £x ballbark for a "decent one".  The cheapest I've ever seen one advertised on here is about £x + 25%.

Maybe it's a case of both buyers and sellers being too optimistic.

Oh and if one ever does turn up for £500 I'll have it ;)
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited December 2014
    siremoon;439147" said:
    What always puzzles me is that there is a particular model of an iconic guitar which is often asked about in terms of how much for a good second hand one.  The answer to the query is always around the £x ballbark for a "decent one".  The cheapest I've ever seen one advertised on here is about £x + 25%.

And the guitar in question is?

Oh Daisy Rock? ;)
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Adam_MD said:
    siremoon;439147" said:

Oh Daisy Rock? ;)
    Hello Kitty. Actually those do seem to be becoming collectable as guitarists get them for irony value.

The only time I've messaged an ebay listing I didn't intend to bid on was an epiphone SG that was actually an epi SG custom, didn't suggest they put their price up (it was already a bit high if it had just been a g-400), but let them know they could improve their listing a bit.
  • I expect much of the over-optimistic pricing out there is because the owner can't bear to face the fact that they've dropped a huge amount of money from the price that they paid to a dealer (who probably told them it was an investment and bound to increase in value).
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited December 2014
    Adam_MD said:
    siremoon;439147" said:

Oh Daisy Rock? ;)
    It doesn't really matter what it is.  The point I'm making is that there seems to be a disconnect between the prices quoted in adverts and the opinion on the going rate from the collective wisdom of the membership in response to questions. 
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9570
    edited December 2014
    Kurrem,

I might be one of those who PM'd you privately, and I mean this in all friendlyness and sincerity, I was amazed that you didn't recontact me and move closer to a deal...

I don't think that you get many bites from potential buyers in this climate. Searching someone's history by the way, is part of forum life. Search mine and you will see that I'm a mad Carr fan, and think we could have got close to a deal on yours...

My personal experience is that the 'market' dictatest the market, not the seller. That doesn't mean you have to accept what the market decrees though...

The Coda offer of £1000 is a cracking deal, imho... Doug always looks after you, and the service is superb. I ordered my new Skylark, to be built in the new year, off Doug yesterday. Great great service...

GLWTS mate, it's a cracking little amp.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • By the way, it looks like Kurrem has deleted the Carr Mercury and must be keeping it....