Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Seen the new hand wired amp in Guitarist this month?

What's Hot
CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
edited December 2014 in Amps
Looks like it might be nice. Give vox hw series a run for the money.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pmgpmg Frets: 299
    I thought that was the role of the artisan range?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31682
    Hand-wired? Hiwatt?
    What?
  • pmgpmg Frets: 299
    OP is referring to Blackstar as is my response
    Ta :)
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
    Link? Pictures?
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    I read Guitarsist, but am I the only one who still has absolutely no idea what this thread is about?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Equally clueless here.

Is this in the new issue that's due out in a day or two?
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    edited December 2014
    I may be getting confused. I just had a quick look in the local shoppe the other day.  It's a hand wired combo that on paper seems awesome.

Hope I haven't got it mixed up with Total Guitar.  That would be tragic.

The amp looks brilliant though.
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited December 2014
    I believe that the op lacks tmi, which can lead to cmu with dh or db.  Is this all a bit MN?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    edited December 2014

I believe that the op lacks tmi, which can lead to cmu with dh or db.  Is this all a bit MN?
    Come on man. Try to be a bit clearer, can't you? ;)
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1270
    edited December 2014
    The Barnett-Davies? I got a little confused by the Blackstar references.

This one ... (the one in Guitarist is beige)

http://barnettdavies.com/
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4285
    Never had an amp make me feel depressed before, just by looking at it. No-one would ever steal it, so suppose that is a positive.

Not read the review, is it meant to be good?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1270
    edited December 2014
    It's one of those Guitarist reviews where they're trying to be nice about the product but sound a bit underwhelmed. They don't seem to like the Celestion Century speaker (they even suggest a Jensen P12R might be a better choice), 5 stars for buid quality, 3½ stars for sound (which, in Guitarist terms, is pretty low)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17687
    tFB Trader
    I think an amp has to give you an incurable disease and dishonour your ancestors to get 3.5 stars in guitarist.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Guitarist gave the Ashdown fallen angel head a 4 or 5 stars for build, it was in the gear of the year one. Said they'd spent a while making sure they were built properly in China.

Just saying, I don't think they look inside. :)
    CloudNine;442461" said:
    Never had an amp make me feel depressed before, just by looking at it. No-one would ever steal it, so suppose that is a positive.

Not read the review, is it meant to be good?
    Grim looking isn't it? It says Made in England on it, they forgot to add "in 1981".
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I remember they reviewed one of those about 5 years ago, think Jam guitars were a dealer. It got one of those 'trying to be nice' reviews then, too, istr
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16166
    Guitarist is a profit intentioned publication with relatively small circulation to a small market -its a business in a niche market.
    I doubt it makes a huge profit but like all similar publications the chief revenue source is advertising - reviews and critique are an important constituent . Any product review is inclined to be benign at worst and glowing at best - to completely slate a product would be at worse libellous and at best would damage advertising revenue from distributors,manufacturers or retailers associated with the product ........to blatently demean a "lemon " new product from the likes of Fender would probably cause huge advertising sales issues
    let alone the fact that many products would not be readily offered up for "editorial review" and the publication would become a pariah.
     My grandmother always used to say "if you cant say anything nice then dont say anything at all " - think this should be borne in mind when reading these reviews as its the viewpoint that they commercially need to adopt.
     Its still a good mag but nothing like hearing/playing it for yourself !
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 888
    I`m just surprised that anyone still buys guitarist - they always seem to have the badly edited versions of the reviews on Music Radar website by the time I get to the shop to consider whether it`s worth buying or not, thus making the purchase absolutely pointless - as long as I`ve had the patience to wade through the constant Peavey pop ups on the web site to read anything of interest. I think the last issue I bought was to compare the ads and see which shops had the best deals on.

Sad really, as I learned to play guitar whilst avidly reading every issue in the 80s and 90s, and waited with bated breath for the `20 licks in the style of` articles...........

Anyway, off subject - sorry!

I agree, that amp looks bloody awful. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I like the way that amp looks. A sort of mid 70's piece of audio gear visage.