Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Of all the ways to recover from a broken string...

What's Hot
... this is the best!

Just watiching Knebworth 1990 music concert and Eric has just broken one in before you accuse me and it made me think of that SRV clip. Eric just appears later in the same song with six strings. Not quite as cool as the way SRV and his roadie dealt with the situation!

Incidently I had a string break at me at a gig a while ago. I just swapped guitars mid song and let mate carry on the solo. That exact moment is what is in my profile pic.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Wow, SRV is slick as hell.

It's how unphased he is that's impressive and how he takes to the new guitar like nothing's happened.

Brilliant
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    He didn't even look down at the strings once. True pro.

• Love that Austin City Limits set they did. I had the VHS copy with that performance and the earlier one where he was sweating like a pig. I really should upgrade to the DVD.
  • Wow...that Eric clip just reminds me how off my ear was back in those days. I thought he was awesome...but that performance strikes me as pretty terrible, even taking the string break into account.

Anyway, here's how to handle it if you don't have a roadie...

<space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26593
    edited December 2014
    Actually, it reminds me of the time I was playing a gig about 5 months ago - my lead crapped out during our second song. I'd got it figured out so I could stand on it and it'd work, but from where I was standing I couldn't reach my pedalboard. One of the guys in my old band (my replacement, as it happens) saw what was going on and ran out to his car to grab a spare lead. In that particular song, there's a 12 second break where the other guitarist plays on his own - cue a little bit of telepathy and the fastest lead change in history, and I managed to come back in bang on time for my solo.

Never been so pleased with myself.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've seen EC play live three times.

He broke a string on each occasion.

He dealt with it exactly the same way - he carried on to the end of the song and then changed guitars.

Definitely a good reason for not having a floating trem.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    That Clapton clip reminds me *exactly* why I can't stand anything he's done since Cream. Pedestrian, going-through-the-motion, whiney, white-boy blues... more fire in an extinguisher.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    That Clapton clip reminds me *exactly* why I can't stand anything he's done since Cream. Pedestrian, going-through-the-motion, whiney, white-boy blues... more fire in an extinguisher.

So many wisdoms for this.
    <space for hire>
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited December 2014
    I don't want this to turn into a 'stick the boot into EC thread' but WTF has he got on? 

Couldn't he have changed the coral pink suit as well as his string? 
    :-S
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SRV is just the most astonishing player, and partly why I don't play blues.

What hope have I got at sounding even fractionally as good as him?!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Not to mention Double Trouble being as tight as the proverbial.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    Why didn't his guitar get out of tune? His strat had a floating trem, right?
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • fnpt said:
    Probably whatever it was that made it audible before his tech plugged the lead into his replacement guitar....
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    fnpt said:
    Probably whatever it was that made it audible before his tech plugged the lead into his replacement guitar....
    I see, studio trickery... :-)
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • fnpt said:
    fnpt said:
    I see, studio trickery... :-)
    'Post production' I believe it's called. Not even SRV was 'that' good....
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17619
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    I was going to post this, but you saved me the bother. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    That clip of Clapton really shows up just how bad that period was for his tone. That being said, I'm going to take they stand for clapton and say that I don't think his playing post Cream is all bad. His recorded stuff with the exception of the unplugged and riding with the king albums hasn't been great but I've seen some good live stuff. This obviously isn't a good example! 

SRV- wow! I'm not a fan of all his songs but his playing always floors me
  • shaunm said:
    That clip of Clapton really shows up just how bad that period was for his tone. That being said, I'm going to take they stand for clapton and say that I don't think his playing post Cream is all bad. His recorded stuff with the exception of the unplugged and riding with the king albums hasn't been great but I've seen some good live stuff. This obviously isn't a good example! 
    Agreed. The Soldano really didn't suit him...or, probably more accurately, he didn't do a particularly good job of setting it up.
    <space for hire>
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    edited December 2014
    He used a Soldano on some tracks on 'From The Cradle' - his 335 on 'Someday After A While' never sounded better.