Black Star Riders - The Killer Instinct

cannot wait for this album... been a long time since I have been excited about a post 2k release

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• So you like their first album, or...?
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3286
    edited December 2014
    So you like their first album, or...?
    not got it nor have listened to it... I might have a punt.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    Decent album, more or less Thin Lizzy as they were. Which is no big surprise....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22831
    edited December 2014
    I listened to their first album the other day.  It's alright, but a bit dull.  I'd have probably really liked it in 1985, but shouldn't they have moved on just a little bit?

(And that's me being hypocritical, because there have been many times I've listened to something new which sounds like it was made in 1973 and I've got all excited about it).  

I have to say Ricky Warwick doing his Phil Lynott impersonation makes me uncomfortable, to be honest.

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Heard them on the radio the other day - and thought "bloody hell, a Thin Lizzy tribute band"!

So I Googled.  Then the sound made complete sense.

Then I read Gorham said that they're called "Black Star Riders" so they stand on their own two feet, rather than Thin Lizzy.

If that's the case, then surely they shouldn't be doing a Thin Lizzy tribute act for new songs...

And yes, @PhillyQ, the Lynott impression vocals are a bit... weird when they're doing new stuff.  It'd be like AC/DC hiring a Bon Scott trib singer.

Really odd.
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    "A Thin Lizzy tribute act"

Nope. Not a tribute. They still played as Thin Lizzy, but at that time they were they weren't performing new material. It was only decided to change the name because they wanted to release new, original material. I don't see what the problem is. They're not acting as a tribute to Thin Lizzy in any way. They're just a band comprised of members of Thin Lizzy, of course they're going to sound like Thin Lizzy. 

They've made two quality albums of original material that have nothing to do with Thin Lizzy, other than in some sonic elements and personnel... I've never seen any interview where a member has come out and said that they wanted to pay homage to Thin Lizzy. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10407

I saw them live as Thin Lizzy and as BSR    .....   they are very much their own band now and real quality live
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    ...so if they are their own thing, why have a singer doing a Lynott impression, and do the whole double guitar solos?

I am honestly interested.
    Rox said:
    ...so if they are their own thing, why have a singer doing a Lynott impression, and do the whole double guitar solos?

I am honestly interested.
    I've not really seen or heard him ape Lynott but he might have done, he doesn't sing like Lynott, plays acoustic guitar on stage rather than bass and generally acts like he did when he was in The Almighty

The twin guitar thing is Scott Gorham's thing, he likes it but it's as much Wishbone Ash, Iron Maiden and god knows how many other bands than it it Lizzy I spose

I play in Black Rose, a Lizzy tribute and I like the BSR thing as we can do some new material without venturing away from Lizzy fans. Cos that's the trouble when your in a tribute to a dead artist, there's no new material generally ;) 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I like them. Saw them live when the first BSR riders came out.

There's plenty of Lizzy songs in the live set, and they got the best reactions of the night, but they were certainly playing a fair chunk of the new stuff. I didn't see the latest tour though, but I imagine that's still the case.

For me they 100% did the correct thing in changing the name when they started doing new material, and yes it's Lizzyesque in places but that works for me.

• XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    Gotta say I've loved their stuff that I've heard on Planet Rock, if there's a vinyl release I might have to track it down!
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
    Try listening to this song he (Ricky Warwick) sang with The Almighty - 

Still sounds like Ricky Warwick. 

The only thing Warwick and Lynott have is Ireland. 
    edited June 2015

...and singing in Thin Lizzy?

I could hear that they sounded like Thin Lizzy without even knowing who they were.

I'm baffled by the idea posited that I seem to be imagining it.
    Rox said:

I could hear that they sounded like Thin Lizzy without even knowing who they were.

The guitar work is defo Lizzy but then it's Scott Gorham .... put Mark Knopler in another band and it would sound similar to Dire Straights maybe
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Rox said:

But effectively he's not singing in Thin Lizzy. Because they changed their name, and began recording and performing new, original material as they wanted to leave the legacy of TL untouched.

I feel like we're just not going to see eye to eye on this one. Yes, I get that the guitar work is much the same - but that's because of who it is, it's their 'signature' sound... I get that Ricky Warwick sang for them when they were still called Thin Lizzy. Really, they were just Thin Lizzy who decided that they were going to tour with another singer for the fans. And then they decided that the new material wasn't fitting to be released under the name "Thin Lizzy", so they changed their name and try to make it a separate thing. Still... Doesn't make it a tribute band. 
    I think you're getting in a tizzy about the 'tribute band' comment - which was what I thought before I read who they were.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Great band - I've seen them twice and loved both gigs.    (last time was with europe who were very poor in comparison)

Scott Gorham sounded really good and came across as a nice guy that loves playing.   I'm looking forward to seeing them again.
    I got the vinyl today. I will report back here with my opinion!
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    Strangely, I 'm not a Lizzy fan but I like BSR. I also used to know one of Thin Lizzy, which serves well for drunken rock pub stories.
    I've spun it probably five times, I like it so far. You Little Liar is great!