Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

D'addario strings - packaging nuisance

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
edited December 2014 in Guitar
I think D'addario strings are excellent, and they are quite reasonably priced.  But I've noticed that over the last year or two they have 'intertwined' two strings together - 6th/5th, 4th/3d, 2nd/1st.  (I use EXL120's - super light gauge .009-.042).

Not an issue if you're completely re-stringing a guitar at your leisure at home.  But a real nuisance if you have a string break at a gig and need just one string quickly - this happened to me last night!  Goodness knows why D'addario does this, but if anyone from D'addario is looking in (I've actually just dropped them a line on this)....please DON'T do this, and keep them individual.  

Anyone else use D'addario's and irked by this? 
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    Yep, I stopped using them completely. One string change in the dark behind a half stack, trying to figure out what bloody colour the ballends were was enough for me.
    I used up my remaining stock on studio-only guitars and never bought them again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I agree, but I have to push on as they're my favourite brand.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes, this is annoying. Even in good light.
  • Annoying. Their cheapness keeps me coming back. I suppose the "lean" packaging could be related to the cheapness....
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    That is pretty useless. Some company (I can't recall which) has them in pairs, but the pairs are E/D, B/A, G/E, so you can easily tell which is which.
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    I agree totally, very annoying. I won't change brands as I've used them for the last 25 years but that packaging is a real pain.

• Annoying. Their cheapness keeps me coming back. 
    They are pretty good strings too, mind.
    mart said:
    That is pretty useless. Some company (I can't recall which) has them in pairs, but the pairs are E/D, B/A, G/E, so you can easily tell which is which.
    Your namesake, (CF) Martin. 
  • Why not take a spare guitar to avoid dissapointment?
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    edited December 2014
    The packaging has been a USP for D'Addarios for years - low environmental impact and keeps the strings fresh.

Personally I've never found it a problem - though to be fair - I've never broken a string on a gig.

Their strings are head and shoulders better than any other brand in terms of life expectancy and consistency - unless you get into coated ones which I don't like on electrics.
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I think you all need to man up and understand that each string has a certain thickness, which is a tell tale sign....... :-)

I'll get my coat
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72378
    Plan ahead.

Keep a set of string packets from some other brand, separate your spare D'Addario set into individual strings at home in good light, and put them in the string packets.

Use that set every time you time you change strings and replace with the new-new ones so the spares are always fairly fresh.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Bollocks to all that, I'll just buy someone else's, otherwise they'll never get the message
    :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think they've been like this for more than a year or two. Doesn't bother me at all - I don't gig, so I always replace all six at the same time.

ICBM's idea sounds like the perfect solution. Or just carry a pack of a different make when you play live.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    p90fool said:
    Bollocks to all that, I'll just buy someone else's, otherwise they'll never get the message
    :D

Never rated D'addarios myself.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    p90fool said:
    I'd prefer to keep using them so that other companies get the message that individual packaging is wasteful and a nuisance at any other time than when changing strings at a gig...

It's one of the reasons I like D'Addarios - apart from them being great strings.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hippy ;)
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    The electric strings of theirs don't seem to agree with my PH balance, or whatever it is.  They corrode after hours.  The classical strings seem to be ok but in terms of packaging, they're all bundled together and the only way to identify which string is which is by the tiny speck of colour at the ends.  For some reason, there is nothing on the classical packets to refer the colour and string to which I found really annoying.  After I've used my remaining sets, I'll move onto another brand.
  • I've just restrung one of my acoustics with D'Addario EXPs and I somehow mixed up the D and G, had to take them off and swap them over. One of the disadvantages of pairing them up as opposed to individual envelopes!
  • Prior to the 'pairing', D'Addarios were all bundled in together were they not? So in fact they're better than they were...
    p90fool said:
    Hippy ;)
    No, lazy skinflint ;). Excessive packaging wastes money so the strings would end up slightly more expensive. I find individual packets a nuisance when I'm changing all the strings at once too, it's quicker just to get all of them out at once.

beed84 said:
    The classical strings seem to be ok but in terms of packaging, they're all bundled together and the only way to identify which string is which is by the tiny speck of colour at the ends.  For some reason, there is nothing on the classical packets to refer the colour and string to which I found really annoying.  After I've used my remaining sets, I'll move onto another brand.
    Don't they still put the little sticker on one end? The last lot I had did,although it was a few months ago now.

I'm surprised it's not obvious from the string thickness too, they're really quite different in nylon sets.