Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gilmour - great live moments trib thread

What's Hot

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    :D
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Can't quite work out how it's taken me this long, but I have Is There Anybody Out There? in my ears right now for the first time. It's bloody good!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Jeez that Norway version of CM is fucking astonishing

I never knew he could do things like that

I want his babies even more now
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Can't quite work out how it's taken me this long, but I have Is There Anybody Out There? in my ears right now for the first time. It's bloody good!
    Somehow it is just sparkling with energy.

By far my favourite Pink Floyd and David Gilmour moments...........Especially 'Run Like Hell'.

Professional, Alive with Tone, obviously well rehearsed and theatrical whilst staying very true to the original record.

When they play 'Empty Spaces', they expand it into the full song that the studio album never got and it's amazing.

The sheer energy of Richard Wrights playing is so evident to me every time i play this (Which was roughly a couple of hours ago).

I can only imagine what it must have been like to be in that crowd, after having heard the record and then being hit with THAT performance...........

@stickyfiddle

So.................

What do you think having heard 'Is there anybody out there' for the first time?

As this is one of my favourite albums of all time, i'm really interested to hear someone's opinion on it having heard it for their first time ?
  • Alnico said:
    @stickyfiddle

So.................

As this is one of my favourite albums of all time, i'm really interested to hear someone's opinion on it having heard it for their first time ?
    I was working till 1030 last night. Had it on repeat for about 5 hours. It's bloody fantastic. Hardly a surprise, but really really really good. Also the best Gilmour tone I've heard I reckon. Now need to go to Gilmourish and work out what pedals I have to buy...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Great, glad to hear someone else has got onto this amazing album.

I think his tone is so good here because it was the pinnacle of his work developing since the first days of the Black Strat. After this, he soon went to the Red Strat and EMG pickups 'Tone era' which is in itself a great sound, but different.

Only the likes of @Gassage will know the precise details of his late 70's / Early 80's rig before moving into the EMG era but whatever it was, he had got it right by this point and the Black Strat sounds incredible at Earls Court. What i love about it is it's almost wild, untamable sound, obviously something which drove him towards the EMG's but still, it sounds visceral here and it's attitude and growl really suits 'The Wall' as a show.

As this show was being staged, i was 8 years old learning my first chords on a 1960's Suzuki Dreadnought acoustic and dreaming of playing a Stratocaster like he did. I actually heard 'The Wall' in it's first week of release as my Dad went out and bought the LP. I grew up with Pink Floyd as the soundtrack to my life and this album, along with 'Wish you were here' probably means more to me in terms of VERY special memories than any other.

To hear it all these years later played so perfectly in a live show is the most beautiful closure and yet it's life, energy and longevity keep it current and relevant. It's playing (again) right now. I never get bored of it and it always sounds new every time.

I think for any musician to accomplish that is truly amazing.
  • Gilmour playing some very classy understated stuff with Macca. Great album "Run Devil Run"
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    Alnico said:
    Great, glad to hear someone else has got onto this amazing album.

I think his tone is so good here because it was the pinnacle of his work developing since the first days of the Black Strat. After this, he soon went to the Red Strat and EMG pickups 'Tone era' which is in itself a great sound, but different.

Only the likes of @Gassage will know the precise details of his late 70's / Early 80's rig before moving into the EMG era but whatever it was, he had got it right by this point and the Black Strat sounds incredible at Earls Court. What i love about it is it's almost wild, untamable sound, obviously something which drove him towards the EMG's but still, it sounds visceral here and it's attitude and growl really suits 'The Wall' as a show.

As this show was being staged, i was 8 years old learning my first chords on a 1960's Suzuki Dreadnought acoustic and dreaming of playing a Stratocaster like he did. I actually heard 'The Wall' in it's first week of release as my Dad went out and bought the LP. I grew up with Pink Floyd as the soundtrack to my life and this album, along with 'Wish you were here' probably means more to me in terms of VERY special memories than any other.

To hear it all these years later played so perfectly in a live show is the most beautiful closure and yet it's life, energy and longevity keep it current and relevant. It's playing (again) right now. I never get bored of it and it always sounds new every time.

I think for any musician to accomplish that is truly amazing.
    The Wall rig was complex- there were 2 Cornish Boards- a big one that was a rebuild of the Animals board

It had:

Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face (BC109)
    Electro Harmonix Big Muff (1973 “Ram’s Head”)
    MXR Phase 90
    Electro Harmonix Small Stone
    Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress
    Pete Cornish (ST-2) Treble and Bass Boost
    Cry Baby wah wah
    MXR Dynacomp
    (send/return for additional effects)
    Pete Cornish tone pedal
    Pete Cornish volume pedal
    (send/return for MXR DDL)
    MXR Noise Gate/Line Driver

Additional units
    MXR Digital Delay System I
    2 Boss CE-2 Chorus
    Conn Strobo tuners

Then, on top of the Wall there was a mini-board

Electro Harmonix Big Muff (1973 “Ram’s Head”)
    Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress
    Pete Cornish custom volume pedal
    (send return to MXR DDL)

Amps were 4 Hiwatts, an Alembic preamp which was used as the preamp for a Yamaha RA200.

C NUmb of this era- literally Big Muff, Elec Miss, MXR Delay. Nothing else, HOWEVER the modulation that everyone thinks is the Elec Miss is mainly the Yamaha Rotary Speaker. The EM is very very mild and the mods are mainly the Yam Leslie.

One of the big diffs between this tone and any others- no compression.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

edited December 2014
    Alnico said:
    @stickyfiddle

So.................

I was working till 1030 last night. Had it on repeat for about 5 hours. It's bloody fantastic. Hardly a surprise, but really really really good. Also the best Gilmour tone I've heard I reckon. Now need to go to Gilmourish and work out what pedals I have to buy...
    If you wanted to do this on a budget here's my suggestoins

CS2
    VIckAudio Rams Head
    Rockett Archer
    TC Stereo Chorus/Flanger (NOTHING gives Wall era mod tones like the flanger on this cos it's almost chorusy too but it's hardly a hudget pedal- it is, howver, my secret weapon)
    If can't afford above, Deluxe Elec Miss or Hartman or BF2
    DD2 or DD3 original Made In Japan.

Into a clean amp- pretty much job done.

If you want a rotary then get the Boss thing.

• If you do down the Boss flanger root get a HF-2 (if you can) over a BF-2.  The HF-2 sounds incredible similar to the EH DEM.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    If you do down the Boss flanger root get a HF-2 (if you can) over a BF-2.  The HF-2 sounds incredible similar to the EH DEM.
    Wow- I'd never even heard of that. MUST NOT BUY.

I have yet to hear anything that gives Wall and Andy Summers tones like the old TC SCF. You need to understand the interaction between Intensity and Depth and tweak it though.

edited December 2014
    *Does the dance from Evan Almighty..................

My G3 has all that !

:)

EDIT: Huge grateful thanks to @Gassage for all this work and in depth analysis. It's a great resource for people like me who don;t know a lot about effects.
    Most of the stuff on the wall rig is off Gilmourish, with the addition of my thoughts on comprssor and also the RA200, which i know is a huge part of that era. The pedal suggestions are a result of years of expensive mistakes by me. Another thing worth noting is there was a Boogie Mk 1 head in the wall rig too

• I would absolutely love to have a cup of tea or ten and chat to @gassage about this stuff.

You're a proper encyclopedia - I thought I was pretty good with frusciante rigs through the years but frankly, I know nothing!
    edited December 2014
    I'm lucky I've met people like Guy and Colin Norcliffe. My finest coup was getting Guy to get Phil Taylor to write all of the delay settings down for me.....some interesting things that contradict Gilmourish came out- Echoes delay is 300ms as an example, and CNumb live is 600ms from 1987 onwards, not the accepted 440ms. I have the delay settings from every live performance from 1994 onwards. And most of the time he's uses the old MXR rack unit

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:
    The pedal suggestions are a result of years of expensive mistakes by me.

Gassage said:
    I'm lucky I've met people like Guy and Colin Norcliffe. My finest coup was getting Guy to get Phil Taylor to write all of the delay settings down for me.....some interesting things that contradict Gilmourish came out- Echoes delay is 300ms as an example, and CNumb live is 600ms from 1987 onwards, not the accepted 440ms. I have the delay settings from every live performance from 1994 onwards. And most of the time he's uses the old MXR rack unit
    My point entirely !

Valuable and expensive experience shared and gratefully received.

Massive Thanks.

:)
  • for me david is a one off when it comes to emotional playing.

maybe steve rothery can get close but dave is the master at wringing emotion out of every note when he's going for it.

am a huge fan of both players (along with alex lifeson as my guitar trio hero's)

i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

edited December 2014

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    What's with the drum machine?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.