Possibly buying used 2001 Fender 65 DRRI - anything I should be wary of?

What's Hot
I've been gassing for one of these amps for years and have finally found one for a good price that I can afford.
Do any of you knowledgable people have any advice regarding things to look out for when buying these amps used?

It's a 2001 model.

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    It's worth checking that the voltage is set for 240V and not 230V (as they came set from the factory) which makes them slightly less hard on the 6V6s, but otherwise I can't really think of anything. Very reliable and well-made amps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks for that.
    So how would I check for that?
    The guy selling may not know.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30951
    @matthewshreddery

Neil at Chandlers swears that the early ones were better for reasons I have no clue about.

One upgrade I'd totally rec is the Weber Alnico from Watford Valves- makes a great amp into a world beater.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• @Gassage - good to know. I take it 2001 is considered early ish ?
    Really hoping to make this deal work. 
    @Gassage - good to know. I take it 2001 is considered early ish ?
    Really hoping to make this deal work. 
    I am not sure if it's true or not but that's what he told me.

• Fair one. I doubt there's much to it.
    I'm not sure of the exact changeover date - probably mid-2007 from what I can find online - but more recent ones have a complex solid-state coupler unit for the tremolo, whereas older ones have the simple opto-coupler like the originals and which is now not allowed under RoHS regulations. In my opinion the opto ones sound better. (This only affects the tremolo.) 2001 is definitely before the change.

You would need to check the internal connections to tell if it's been set for 240V. I probably wouldn't worry about it unless the amp needs attention for some other reason, unless you're intending to crank it up most of the time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    I'm not sure of the exact changeover date - probably mid-2007 from what I can find online - but more recent ones have a complex solid-state coupler unit for the tremolo, whereas older ones have the simple opto-coupler like the originals and which is now not allowed under RoHS regulations. In my opinion the opto ones sound better. (This only affects the tremolo.) 2001 is definitely before the change.

You would need to check the internal connections to tell if it's been set for 240V. I probably wouldn't worry about it unless the amp needs attention for some other reason, unless you're intending to crank it up most of the time.

Dear Diary,

Today, I posted something on thefretboard that the guru @icbm actually agreed with. I ws so pleased and was all warm and goo-ey inside.

It's the first time I've said something he approved of and it made my day.

Gassage.

8reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    lol

• haha nice one guys.
    Cheers for all the help.
    Picking it up later today, so long as I'm happy that it's not a lemon I'll be giggin it tonight :-)
  • Gassage;450813" said:
    Today, I posted something on thefretboard that the guru @icbm actually agreed with. I ws so pleased and was all warm and goo-ey inside.

It's the first time I've said something he approved of and it made my day.

Gassage.
    Something some of us have yet to achieve.

Well done.

Not jealous in any way whatsoever....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So, @MatthewShreddery, how did it work out?

• ICBM said:

@ICBM, what's the difference in sound between the opto circuit and the new circuit? Is it less ticky?
    I don't tend to use the amp trem unless I'm playing at higher volumes - the tick is too intrusive, and there's not a lot of depth to the effect unless the amp's turned up.
    The new one seems really harsh and abrupt, to me - not thick and pulsing like the old one. The tick isn't just caused by the neon in the old ones either, it's partly directly from the oscillator valve, so the new one might not cure it - they vary a lot anyway, so it's hard to tell. The new ones I've tried with either circuit don't seem to tick much.

• @noisepolluter - worked out great!
    Bought the amp for a great price from a lovely bloke who also played superb jazz guitar.
    Gigged it that night and was very happy.
    Possible NAD thread coming up soon.

Initial thoughts are that the reverb is a bit 'strong' for want of a better word, and I can't really see me using the 'vibrato'.
    However, plugged into the vibrato channel with my strat, amp volume around 6 = tone heaven IMO. Just a touch of break up, easily cleaned up with gtr vol pot.

Anyway, I'll save it for the NAD thread.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3337
    edited December 2014
    Happy NAD and I bought a used but mint one last month, although I'm not sure how old my one is, but I'd imagine it's a more recent one to yours.

You're right. At volume, setting the reverb dial at 2 is enough and 5-6 for the surf stuff. I'm still mucking about with the channel inputs but seem to have settled on Input 1 of the Vibrato Channel too.

Doesn't it take pedals well and it's quiet too. I use 4 different overdrives, all with different degrees of gain - Catalinbread 5F6, Keeley TS-808, Fulltone OCD and a Wampler Pinnacle - and it loves them. When I use the ODs, the amp seems to bring out the pick attack sound and you get this lovely chink sound when you strike the string and there's really good string articulation.

Getting a great funk clean from it and then hitting the Pinnacle to get a 5150-type amp sound just puts a smile on my face.

Friends keep telling me to replace the Jensen speaker only because they reckon it takes the amp up a notch. The stock Jensen sounds fine to me but forums do recommend a Weber, Cannabis Rex or Eminence Legend in them.

I look forward to your thread!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Kebabkid - Thanks!
    It really does seem to like pedals, though I've not yet had time to really test it out properly.
    Still early days but I think I may have found a keeper! :)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3337
    Nice one and I did I mention how pretty and well-proportioned an amp it is :)

Enjoy it MS!
  • yea mate it's gorgeous.
    Looks brilliant with my strat next to it.
  • SRichSRich Frets: 763
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/28846/fs-eminence-cannabis-rex-12-incher-50w-8ohm#latest

@JohnPerry has or had a Cannabis Rex for sale....and a solid guy to deal with too. 

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have"