Neck finishing for idiots.

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16695
    It will soak in a lot more on pine and possibly stay tackier for longer as pine can be more resinous. It will also offer very little protection and age very quickly
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andypwudtoneandypwudtone Frets: 287
    had a quartersawn roasted maple neck in to finish a few weeks ago, made by Misikraft, a really nice piece. Here done in Wudtone Aged Vintage Yellow, nice warm look on the roasted maple. 

• andypwudtoneandypwudtone Frets: 287
    roasted maple done in Wudtone Aged Vintage yellow, very easy to do. Customer wanted silky feel ( rather than a lacquery).  I think this neck has been to @FelineGuitars recently, 

• redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 746
    edited May 2015
    WezV said:
    It will soak in a lot more on pine and possibly stay tackier for longer as pine can be more resinous. It will also offer very little protection and age very quickly

I'm gonna give it a blast with Tru Oil for the body and neck. The protection/ageing issue doesn't bother me too much, and I like the idea of the really thin finish. Wil be following your method @WezV. ;

Here's a question to really show what an amateur I am: what's the best way to hold the body / neck while sanding/finishing? Using a support attached like a neck would be?
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    edited May 2015
    don't overthink it. As long as you don't put any dings or scratches into the wood you'll be fine. That means you can just put the body / neck down on a surface, wet-sand it, turn it around, and repeat. It needs to be hung up to dry afterwards (I think there are some pics in the thread in my sig). 

And think about protecting not only the wood but also your workspace - if you are, for example, working in a fairly new kitchen your wife feels quite protective about, it might be a good idea not to leave any residual oil on the surfaces ...

• WezVWezV Frets: 16695
    I always save old towels for doing this on.... and its worth picking up a box of latex gloves too.  

any old bit of wood can be used as a neck stick, drill a hole of make a hook if you want to hang it somewhere