Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Amp lifting

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• A bass playing friend has an svt and 8x10 setup. As mentioned above, the cab is remarkably easy to move around and well thought out in terms of handles / wheels / strategically placed skids. The head is cased and is a 2 man lift, not too bad as long as you have the manpower.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibe said:
    My old singer in a previous band pulled muscle in his arse lifting my '70s Marshall JMP 2x12 into the back of his car.

I laughed a hell of a lot.

Had previously warned him that it had its own gravitational field, but he wouldn't listen.
    Hahaha!! 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3331
    ICBM;451574" said:
    paulmapp8306 said:

The guide (I believe) is up to 15Kg is fine for one person.  Anything over that up to 35 Kg is really a two person lift (or multi person lift).  Anything over 35Kg shouldnt be lifted manually - but lifting aids should be used. lol

Is this serious? What have we become…?
    . No HSE did away with guideline weights as it caused too much hassle. Now you are told to do a pre lift risk assessment and only lift if you feel it's within your capabilities

• Honestly - get in the gym and learn to squat and deadlift with correct form.
    Lifting amps will no longer be all that much effort regardless of your build.
  • I managed to slip carrying a one handled-amp down the stairs over a year ago. it wrenched my shoulder and despite various stretching routines and visit to the physio and so on it has never been the same. Be careful!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    edited December 2014
    I managed to slip carrying a one handled-amp down the stairs over a year ago. it wrenched my shoulder and despite various stretching routines and visit to the physio and so on it has never been the same. Be careful!
    Ouch. Sudden accidents like this are far more of a risk than properly lifting something far heavier. Obviously if you're lifting something that's really too heavy there's a risk of straining yourself before you're aware it's going to happen as well, but all the times I've hurt my back have been when I wasn't expecting it at all.

grungebob said:
    No HSE did away with guideline weights as it caused too much hassle. Now you are told to do a pre lift risk assessment and only lift if you feel it's within your capabilities
    Thank goodness for that! There's no way I would be able to work on my own if I wasn't allowed to lift anything heavier than 15Kg :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Saw this and thought of you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    stonevibe said:
    My old singer in a previous band <SNIP> "said follow the van and don't dilly-dally on the way..."

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    ICBM said:
    paulmapp8306 said:

The guide (I believe) is up to 15Kg is fine for one person.  Anything over that up to 35 Kg is really a two person lift (or multi person lift).  Anything over 35Kg shouldnt be lifted manually - but lifting aids should be used. 
    lol

Unfortunately yes.  Did my NEBOSH quals (H&S, Fire and Environmental) as my resettlement course when leaving the forced 18 months ago.  The link provided earlier is of course accurate - however most "advice" is to assume the load wont be carried close to the body at all times - hence the 15Kg limit not the max 25Kg shown n the relevant diagram in the guide.

I will say, that FIRST thing mentioned on the course, was that 95% of things companies/organisations quote as being done for H&S reasons is absolute bollo**s - Its because they either cant be bothered doing the risk assessment, or cant be bothered with the cost, or the nause of putting in measures to mitigate any risks highlighted - so they just ban everything.  Hence all the stupid rules in government organisations/schools, hospitals, etc etc etc.  

The lifting weights though are pretty much in stone though - AND there a guide, as the caveat is to assess the load first - and if you dont feel you can lift something personally - even if it is below the weight guide, then dont lift without help or aids.   
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    ICBM said:
    paulmapp8306 said:

The guide (I believe) is up to 15Kg is fine for one person.  Anything over that up to 35 Kg is really a two person lift (or multi person lift).  Anything over 35Kg shouldnt be lifted manually - but lifting aids should be used. 
    lol

Unfortunately yes.  Did my NEBOSH quals (H&S, Fire and Environmental) as my resettlement course when leaving the forced 18 months ago.  The link provided earlier is of course accurate - however most "advice" is to assume the load wont be carried close to the body at all times - hence the 15Kg limit not the max 25Kg shown n the relevant diagram in the guide.

I will say, that FIRST thing mentioned on the course, was that 95% of things companies/organisations quote as being done for H&S reasons is absolute bollo**s - Its because they either cant be bothered doing the risk assessment, or cant be bothered with the cost, or the nause of putting in measures to mitigate any risks highlighted - so they just ban everything.  Hence all the stupid rules in government organisations/schools, hospitals, etc etc etc.  

The lifting weights though are pretty much in stone though - AND there a guide, as the caveat is to assess the load first - and if you dont feel you can lift something personally - even if it is below the weight guide, then dont lift without help or aids.   
    Particularly funny given the loads you must have carried in the army, at least if you were in the infantry! But then you can't sue the MOD if you injure yourself while you're in, if I remember right...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Can now - well its not sue, but you can get compensation.  I got £6k for my back and knees, but there not as bad as they could have been.

We have the same lift guides when working - ie not on exercise or on opps.  Once you get your webbing/rifle/body armour on your up to 35-40Kg - then theres another 60Kg or so in your backpack if your carrying that.  So much fopr weight guides then.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There's no doubt about it now. I feel the pain in my lower back returning after just lugging my Blackstar back up the stairs and into the flat. I have to get something lighter - I'm just not built to be lugging heavy things around and I think I'm doing damage.
    if your back is aching after short period of time with a weight that is not especially heavy I would recommend seeing someone about it. 
    It sounds like some basic back strengthening exercises would be beneficial to you
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Probably yeah - I've not been to the gym for a while
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31613
    It's not about the gym, it's about functioning as an ordinary human adult carrying a moderate weight.

I'm not a subscriber to the "man up" opinion, but I think if you're really having health issues carrying a solid state combo for short distances you should really get yourself checked out.

This whole thread reads like that of an octogenarian who's struggling to maintain his career into his dotage.

Have it looked at, seriously.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I rack pulled twelve plates today.
    260kg.
    Go to the gym,get someone to help you with the amp or buy something lighter.