New Amp Head suggestions?

BeexterBeexter Frets: 617
edited December 2014 in Amps

On the basis I had some great suggestions regarding a semi-hollow guitar (now purchased) I'd like to get some suggestions for a new amp head. Not interested in a combo due to size and weight issues.

I'm looking for something in the region of 30w. My key criteria are warm cleans and classic rock crunch - doesn't have to be a hi-gain monster.

Based on my own experiences, I don't think 15w will give me the clean headroom I want at gig volumes and I already have a 50w Vox head so 30w seems about right.

An effects loop would be ideal, but not  a deal breaker. The Vox is EL84 driven so I'm thinking maybe EL34 or KT66, maybe Marshall/ Orange?

The discontinued Rocker 30 looks like a decent candidate. I'm also tempted by the Dual Terror but this seems to get mixed reviews.......

Budget of around £400 - 500 so quite happy to look at used and don't mind spending less!

I'd appreciate your suggestions....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Orange TH30. I got one last week in a trade on here as a home amp with the 7w setting in mind and it's fantastic.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72679
    If you want an Orange I'd get the Rocker 30 no question. It's much better-sounding than any of the EL84 models - chunkier, more open and natural-sounding. No FX loop, but it doesn't have that much gain, so you can run most stuff in front.

The Marshall JTM45 reissue is also a very nice amp, but doesn't have an MV so you won't get overdrive at lower volume without an attenuator. Also no FX loop, but it does take pedals fantastically well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Question: natch this depends on the speakers & cab being matched top the head, but the spl from a 30W head isn't going to be that much different to that from a 50W head, is it? So is this really about a different tone?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 617
    edited December 2014
    Question: natch this depends on the speakers & cab being matched top the head, but the spl from a 30W head isn't going to be that much different to that from a 50W head, is it? So is this really about a different tone?
    Yeah, it is more about a different tone. The Vox is quite bright and lacks bottom end. I don't really use the dirty channel - I tend to use it as a clean platform for pedals. The Vox works well for the most part but I'm looking for something with a more bassy, warmer clean and a more "classic rock" drive as I'd like to play around with getting my drive sounds from the amp rather than pedals, hence thinking of a lower wattage head. I think 15w is too little to get any clean headroom at gig volume so 30w ish seems it should be about right. I'm thinking the Thunder 30 or JTM45 is kind of where I should be looking but just wanted to see if there was anything else I should consider...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72679
    Beexter said:
    Yeah, it is more about a different tone. The Vox is quite bright and lacks bottom end. I don't really use the dirty channel - I tend to use it as a clean platform for pedals. The Vox works well for the most part but I'm looking for something with a more bassy, warmer clean and a more "classic rock" drive as I'd like to play around with getting my drive sounds from the amp rather than pedals, hence thinking of a lower wattage head. I think 15w is too little to get any clean headroom at gig volume so 30w ish seems it should be about right. I'm thinking the Thunder 30 or JTM45 is kind of where I should be looking but just wanted to see if there was anything else I should consider…
    Rocker 30 :). Bassy warm clean and classic rock drive really sums it up.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    As a rule I've never liked el84 amps. I sold my Tubemeister 18 as it just sounded like fizz no matter how I set it and worried about that with the TH30. Don't get me wrong, you can make it fizzy I just choose not to.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    ICBM said:
    Beexter said:
    Yeah, it is more about a different tone. The Vox is quite bright and lacks bottom end. I don't really use the dirty channel - I tend to use it as a clean platform for pedals. The Vox works well for the most part but I'm looking for something with a more bassy, warmer clean and a more "classic rock" drive as I'd like to play around with getting my drive sounds from the amp rather than pedals, hence thinking of a lower wattage head. I think 15w is too little to get any clean headroom at gig volume so 30w ish seems it should be about right. I'm thinking the Thunder 30 or JTM45 is kind of where I should be looking but just wanted to see if there was anything else I should consider…
    Rocker 30 :). Bassy warm clean and classic rock drive really sums it up.

Rocker 30 kicks ass...also a head is on ebay and has been on there for a little while now, so could put in a good offer.

dont do the Dual Terror, its not great at all...the TH30 is better option in the newer oranges, it has a great clean (not as good as the rocker) and the distortion can do rock all the way to scooped metal. The Rocker has less range on the dirt channel, but what it has is beautiful!

• I've had a bit of a thing about Orange for a few years and ended up with a Rocker 30, which I love.

The Dual Terror and Rocker 30 do sound quite different IMO.  I thought I wanted a DT a few years ago but when I tried one I didn't think it sounded that good except when it was flat-out.  Earlier this year I bought a Rocker 30 and it's much more to my taste - much better low gain and breaking up sounds (which is what I mostly use), but will still rock out if you want it to (there's certainly more than enough gain there for classic rock).  The power section is quite dirty at volume, so it wouldn't be a good choice if you want very loud pristine cleans (but it's a very nice clean IMO) but otherwise it's a pretty versatile amp, not a one-trick rock monster.

I've not tried a TH30 (which appears to be the nearest replacement for the Rocker) - it has EQ and MV on the clean channel (rather than the Rocker's direct "natural" channel) and a loop, which seems like good additions but I don't know how different they sound.  I quite like the Rockerverb as well, although they're a bit more modern sounding (and weigh a ton and you'd be unlikely to get one for £500).

I paid £400 for my Rocker 30 head, so definitely well inside your budget.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 617

As the Rocker is discontinued, I've only been able to compare online and it sounds a lot more "classic" to me than the TH30. The effects loop of the TH30 is appealing but it sounds quite a bit more "modern" from the clips I've heard. If there is something along the lines of the Rocker, with an effects loop, I'm all ears - I'm not precious about the name on the front of it but so far, the Rocker seems the way to go..

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471

i think skip the Rocker if you really want an effects loop...for me that wasnt a consideration as I never use them...but some who cant do without it have issues with the Rocker.

other than the Rocker in that same power...i would say the Marshall re-issue...otherwise something custom. In that 30w+ area, you can get an EL34 amp, which to my ears is always going to sound miles better than EL84...and there arent that many EL34 amps around, especially modern amps.

• I was afraid I might miss the loop when I got my Rocker 30.  I used to use it on my previous amp, but all I ever use is the odd bit of chorus or delay (mostly slap-back), mostly on cleanish sounds, and frankly it doesn't sound much different in front for those purposes.  If you want reverb or crisp delay on heavier sounds it may be a problem.  People have modded the Rocker to add a loop, but most of the accounts I've read have mentioned compromises (either noise or change of tone, or only working on one channel).