Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Who uses a slide?

What's Hot
I think I'm going to buy a slide but I don't know the difference between them all!

I had a metal one a long time ago but never really used it but I think I would now!

What would you recomend? What is good for what?

I don't play contry music tho...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm rubbish playing slide...but I do prefer a glass slide to a metal one.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited December 2014
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    I think heavier ones give a better tone but you have to balance that against ease of playing.
    Also think about how you'll use it, i.e. a half slide for your little finger might be more useable for part way through a song where you need the rest of your fingers free.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3640
    I'm pretty rubbish at slide (not enough practise) but I did find that a half length glass job was best for me. 

Best to go to a shop to find what suits/fits you best. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12678
    Tbh, I actually prefer the Dunlop chrome slides that everyone else think are crap and can't make a nice noise with a glass one... so it pays to try a few.

FWIW - glass can be smoother sounding, chrome ones are a bit more scratchy and metallic and the brass ones seem to be the scratchiest of all... but that's just with me playing with one. You may find something completely different.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• I've got a thinnish glass one.  People say thicker, heavier ones sound better but as a fairly occasional slide dabbler I find the lighter one easier to use, and it sounds fine to me.
  • You'd normally wear the slide on your ring or pinky finger.

Glass has a brighter, thinner tone than metal.

The length and uh... girth of the slide are a matter of comfort and personal preference.

As @BigMonka says, a heavier slide should give better tone and more sustain, but will be heavier and might be harder to control.

Slide works best with a slightly higher action. You don't have to go nuts and make the guitar unplayable as a fretted instrument, but a really low action will probably lead to the slide crashing in to the frets, which is not cool.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8754
    The type of slide you want depends on what you're going to play with it. Years ago I decided not to deviate from standard tuning, which limits my slide playing. I suppose I could change that decision, but I don't play enough slide to merit it. I've got three different slides for different purposes. Heavy brass for the lower strings, and when using overdrive. A light weight, short length chrome which I use just on the top two. Being a short length I can also play some chords whilst wearing it. Lastly I've got a glass slide, which has a sweeter tone, and suits cleaner tones.

My advice is to get several different slides and try them over a couple of weeks.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    edited December 2014
    I have three, Brass, Chrome & Glass.  

You're quite right that different materials give different tones. Very much depends on my mood.  If I want a 'smoother' gentler and more 'refined' blues tone I'll use glass - if I want a more 'aggressive' tone then I'll use Brass or Chrome.  Brass is the heaviest slide I have.  It's not so much about sustain, just that the brass and chrome have different 'timbres' - the Chrome gives more top end and is brighter, the Brass is a little fuller sounding but not as bright.  I use the slide on my pinky because it releases my 1st, 2nd & 3rd fingers for fingering.   

Bit of slide here at 08:27 using the Brass slide and a double drop D tuning (kinda of pinched the main riff from 'Travelling Riverside Blues).  Guitar was a Vox SC55 that I had on loan for a while:

On his one I used a chrome slide - you should be able to hear that it's a little brighter with a slightly more 'tinny' quality that works nicely for rock blues. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    Where's Lew when we need him.  :)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16782
    I have a heavy polished brass one from Dunlop and a paloma stone slide.

The ceramic one is great, really smooth and whist its quite chunky its very light for its size. A light touch works well

The heavy brass is a lot raspier but that rawness works well for some things.

But really I prefer lapsteel, and they need a heavy chromed brass tonebar
  • Whatever you do, avoid 'thin' anything. Regardless of the material they are made from, thin walled slides sound thin and weak.

I personally find metal ones too bright; heavy glass always works well for me.

If you use high levels of gain, you may find a metal one better in terms of clarity/definition.
  • I use one of those pill bottles which works for me.
  • I use one of those pill bottles which works for me.

Coricidin. Good enough for Duane Allman and Derek Trucks. Several people make replicas now, since aspirin hasn't come in glass bottles in my lifetime, and I'm 35 1/2.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• NomadNomad Frets: 549

Most important thing is to get one that fits around the finger you intend to use. When they're too small, they're much easier to put on than they are to get off - and when you have to get the soapy liquid out to get the thing off, all the other slide guitarists will laugh at you and kick sand in your face.

If the guitar action is marginal, I find that glass is less likely to hit the frets than brass (a bit easier to control the reduced mass of glass). To me, glass sounds a bit sweeter than brass, especially on acoustic.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6165
    I use glass or brass. I play with the slide on my ring-finger and favour Jim Dunlop 218 which is their medium length heavy glass version.
    I find that lighter glass slide tend to sap the tone and sustain.

I also use one of their tapered heavy brass slides and this works really well on my resonator and parlour acoustics. I personally find the brass ones too heavy for use on electric though due to the lighter string gauges. 

I'm not a fan of the lighter chrome slides... they just feel and sound insipid.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
    edited December 2014
    Once again have to recommend http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com/ the ultimates which are a bit pricey are made from lead crystal and have a very smooth tone. They can be quite weighty if you go for a heavy walled one. I've got a couple, the thickest being about 6mm. The standard range ones are good too. Oh, and made to measure!
    The Swamp City Shakers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So what would ou all recomend for someone with sausage fingers?
  • Just whatever fits and feels comfortable. Maybe worth buying a cheapy slide to see how you get on then go from there!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • Ceramic or Glass for me, but I do have brass ones as well. Depends more on gauge of strings, light strings use a light slide, heavier gauge, use a heavier slide.