Green light so what's your opinion?

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
My wife has given me the green light to pick up a new amp so I'm getting one over the next week but I thought I'd put it out to you guys before doing anything.

I've posted a fair few times in the last few weeks about little amps that can be used at home and at a push a small pub gig (mic'd) if need be. Really for gigs I have other options so my main need is home use. 

The shortlist is now

Cornell Plexi 7

Cornell Romany 

Marshall Ofset 1 watt 

i know the Plexi and Ofset get to a similar tone and the Romany is the odd one out but it seems to have a fantastic tone that I find appealing. 

So over to you guys, from this list which amp would you go for? Or if you can suggest something that is in the same sort of ball park as these, low output,, small, great vintage tones and importantly a good looking amp as my green light was given so long as "I don't put a horrible looking black box in the corner". 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4730
    edited December 2014
    My wife has given me the green light to pick up a new amp " 

First thing's first - just do a test to make sure you're not colour blind, and what you've seen as green isn't actually a red!  Many  a marriage has come to a sticky end by such innocent confusion!!  So, just in case:

imageimage

Then double check she's not just letting you pick the amp up in the shop - but then expecting you to put it straight back down again on the shop floor.  It's just as well to be very clear here...saves a lot of distress, tears and potential loss of bedroom 'privileges'.  

I've been married over 32 years...and believe me, to survive I've learned that paranoia pays!!  Written contracts are good too! 

>:D<     =))

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    Ha!! Brilliant, but I have had it confirmed that I have her blessing to go get a little amp for in doors. If I take the mick and get a bigger amp I will find it hard to talk her into other GAS ideas for 2015. And I should say, I only want a little amp
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30953
    Plexi by a mile. Did the mid boost arrive? I never heard ....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• The 1w is the only one that'll look 'cute' in the corner
    It certainly did, thank you. I have it on the side ready to go to the shop in the new year. I figured I'd team it up with a set of bkp's. Thank you once again for that.

So a vote for the Plexi, and looking at the gear you've been posting in the FX section I'm going to guess you've spent a fair amount of time on the tone hunt?
    Shaun, next to a Hiwatt the 18/20 Cornell is my favourite amp ever. The Romany is no where near as good

thisisguitar;455552" said:
    The 1w is the only one that'll look 'cute' in the corner

But they all look so nice, I will concede that the 1w is a stupidly great looking amp. 
  • I'll admit I haven't tried the other two… but I love my Offset, it makes me want to play my guitar. I have a pedalboard worth over £4.5k and a Two Rock Studio Pro 50w. Yet I still love my offset.
    Gassage said:
    Shaun, next to a Hiwatt the 18/20 Cornell is my favourite amp ever. The Romany is no where near as good
    Does this replicate to the Plexi 7 as I know it's a much smaller set up. But that is high praise. The Romany I bet sounds good as a larger combo? If it was a 2x12? That said the cleans at house volume sound great from the little Romany, that's the reason it's in contention 
  • svejksvejk Frets: 148
    I would go with the Cornell - it'll be the better amp. You could do small gigs with either of them, or Wembley with a mic. I've got a Romany (10") speaker. Good for home use, and great sound. The plexi is supposed to be great too - I just wanted the tweed thing. It can sound pretty vicious mind with the tone stack switched out. Second hand around 400-450 - you'll never lose a penny on it. See it as a kind of investment ;)
  • svejksvejk Frets: 148

If the alternative is a Marshall, I guess the Plexi would be closer...

shaunm said:
    Gassage said:
    Does this replicate to the Plexi 7 as I know it's a much smaller set up. But that is high praise. The Romany I bet sounds good as a larger combo? If it was a 2x12? That said the cleans at house volume sound great from the little Romany, that's the reason it's in contention 

Yes. I wouldn't give a Romany house Room. Don't like them. Plexus amazing though

• It's the Japanese PMercedes
    It's the Japanese PMercedes
    in which case it will have to be the Plexi as I've got one of those Japanese Mercedes things
  • Sorted :-) lol

You looking at the new custom offset 2 or the original one?
    The original one. You raised a good point regarding investment. Will the ofset be a good investment? 
  • That's impossible to know. They dropped the price massively at the end for the 1st one, the new one is a much shorter release if I recall. You might pick the original up cheap though if you look around.
    And that is the one I've been playing as its in my local store. I do like it, beautiful amp. Does it take pedals well?
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    edited December 2014
    I wouldn't run a reverb in front of it, I've tried a HOF and a Catalinbread Topanga. The Dispatch Master sounded great though. I use a Fulldrive 3 in front of it, and it gives a great rock sound with the amp between clean and crunchy.