Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

School me on Mustangs

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• The B width neck on my bronco is lovely to play, and the neck on my jsgstang is awesome (supposed to be a copy of cobains favourite mustang neck).
    I must admit i do miss my mij 69ri mustang a lot - it was just so comfortable.
    I'de easily have another mustang.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 659
    I've early 70's Mustang, I believe it was a comp stang that has been refinished.
    The switches can be dropped deeper with longer screws and washers if you find yourself hitting them accidentally.
    My mustang is light as a feather and really resonate. The trem stays in tune just fine so long as you are realistic and accept its limitations, its not a Floyd! There are some helpful youtube videos on set ups.
    I used to own a MIJ, also a great little guitar but different. The pick ups in the MIJ were good, I believe there are 2 types of pup used for the MIJ, the 65 & 69 ri's with one type of pup being thought of as better, least that's what the internet told me.
    I also owned a vintage musicmaster for a short time, fun guitar but it was an A width neck and that's no good for me.

Some info
    http://fendermustangstory.com/

Also www.shortscale.org/forum
    Www.offsetguitars.com

Great sites for set up advice etc
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4725
    Nice Muscle Car - bit thirsty though!   >:D<
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • littlethoughtslittlethoughts Frets: 639
    edited December 2014
    Oh Oh Oh!
    Fender Cyclone. Strat Tremolo, normal pickups and switching with a switch in a slightly better spot than the pawn shop mustang. A nice example on ebay at the moment, and a squier one too.

I've always loved the ones with jaguar single coils though...it does lots of sacrilegious things but looks stunning to me.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    The problem with the Cyclones is that to get the Strat trem in, the body has to be the full thickness and weight, which ruins that nice Mustang feel.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    edited December 2014
    love the cyclone!

it has a gibson scale length as well bizarrely 

edit: Cyclone 2 I meant, I dont like the first model
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • That cyclone 2 looks a stunner.
    Its on my wants list!!
  • ICBM said:
    The problem with the Cyclones is that to get the Strat trem in, the body has to be the full thickness and weight, which ruins that nice Mustang feel.
    That's as may be, but the picture above gave me an erection. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3337
    The problem with the Cyclones (I've owned 2) is that somebody at fender got their maths wrong and they won't intonate correctly, the bridge is just a few mm too close to the neck meaning you run out of backwards travel on the saddles for the G and B before they intonate. It is annoying as I love these guitars otherwise but as slight as the problem may be it bugs me as I can always hear it.
  • HAL9000 said:
    You want Mustangs...?

And that young airplane enthusiast grew up to be Batman.
  • Such a great film. I believe it is actually Bale singing too.
  • Never seen it! Am I going to have to watch it?
  • It's a long old slog, but great, in a Sunday afternoon kinda way.
  • grungebob said:
    The problem with the Cyclones (I've owned 2) is that somebody at fender got their maths wrong and they won't intonate correctly, the bridge is just a few mm too close to the neck meaning you run out of backwards travel on the saddles for the G and B before they intonate. It is annoying as I love these guitars otherwise but as slight as the problem may be it bugs me as I can always hear it.
    I've heard the same complaint with the baritone telecaster. In that case it can be remedied by sawing off 1-2 mm of the saddle screw so the string doesn't hit it. Is it a similar issue or does the saddle simply hit the back of the bridge before intonated correctly?

I suppose the other solutions are to try a different bridge with more travel, different string gauge or maybe a different nut? don't some graphite and roller nuts "finish" a smidge higher up the neck than a standard bone nut?
  • I'm going to miss my Squier VM one, it's not "perfect" but it's a fun little guitar and they really do sound great. I'll certainly have another one someday, though I'm tempted to save that "slot" for an original Competition Stripe model. :)
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3337
    @littlethoughts unfortunately it's the back of the saddle hitting the rear of the bridge
  • There's plenty of footage of a younger, skinnier me playing a mustang on a very big stage to a few thousand in Berkshire... I fully endorse them. Would definitely have another again.
  • Oh Oh Oh!
    Fender Cyclone. Strat Tremolo, normal pickups and switching with a switch in a slightly better spot than the pawn shop mustang. A nice example on ebay at the moment, and a squier one too.

I've always loved the ones with jaguar single coils though...it does lots of sacrilegious things but looks stunning to me.

One of these bad boys just cropped up on ebay in london, for collection though...