Planning my first build - tele

What's Hot
Thought i'd get a thread started early for this so here we go!

I've been looking at Warmouth bodies recently after stumbling across a few self build videos on youtube and it's inspired me to start a build of my own. They seems to be alot of stuff on there that is close to what I want. (Swamp ash/maple top) 
Is there anyone in the UK that people have used who do a similar thing? I'd rather it be as homegrown as possible!

I think if I start with working out a body then planning around that it'll work out best, unless anyone can argue otherwise.

Also if anyone has any info on important things to look out for when starting a build that'd be most helpful.

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Import duty on my USACG Bass VI was £80 - so factor that in.

Personally I'd recommend Musikraft or USACG over Warmouth.

My tele was a USACG body, mighty mite neck all sent to Mark and Matt Jenny - great job :)

I don't get the idea of a tele with a top, just me maybe, but a tele is one piece or three pieces of the same wood.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'll check them out, thanks :D

The idea behind me building one is that I build to my specs, I already have a pretty traditional tele. I fancy something a bit fancy.

Thinking of tru oiling it so a nice top with a one piece body really stand out.

I hope.
  • My warmoth jazzmaster was fantastic quality.  However, import fees was a fair whack on top.

There are builders on here, though.  I've recently contacted someone who I think does such builds, but I won't say who it is until I can confirm - don't want him being bugged by thousands of PM's when he doesn't want to do it anymore :P

USACG were a pain in the arse when I was in talks with them, and Warmoth have a much better ordering system.

Musikraft get good rep here all the time, though.  Warmoth necks are things of beauty from the ones I've tried, but will need fettling to taste (which is, in my opinion, a good thing - means you can make it the way you want it).  For example, fingerboard edges will need rolling and it may need a fret job. 

Definitely build one though! If you want one with a humbucker in the bridge, I have a gold Wilkinson half bridge that I'd sell cheap.  Nice quality, compensated saddles etc... Gold though :p and like I said, only if you want a humbucker tele....
  • Also, I've had pickups from Warman before and fond customer service and quality excellent.  The pickups are budget, but an improvement over most stock on import guitars, though not up there with Irongears and such.  

Might be worth looking into that.

Also, remember the Warmoth bodies only have a veneer unless you go carved top. So no masked binding unless you get a carved top tele (there is a stunning one on there at the moment though...)
  • [quote="ThePrettyDamned;44004"]My warmoth jazzmaster was fantastic quality.  However, import fees was a fair whack on top.

There are builders on here, though.  I've recently contacted someone who I think does such builds, but I won't say who it is until I can confirm - don't want him being bugged by thousands of PM's when he doesn't want to do it anymore :P

I've taken into account the fact that I'll get stitched up with import fees :(

But it would be nice to find someone on here than can do a similar job. http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?i=T3233&Body=2&Path=Body

That's the sort of thing I'm looking at.

With necks I'm probably going to try and find a second hand fender one :) know of any places that sell those? Other than the bay.

Abs pickups are most likely going to be our own oil city, I like the sound of the hard man tele pickups he does.
  • Keep an eye on the classifieds, occasionally people break their partscasters. :)

Other than that, I had a ch guitars neck that was cheap, one piece flamed maple (from a forumite though) and it was good - nice smooth frets, poor quality nut but it works and I've not had to replace it yet, and it's genuinely quite beautiful. Fit the body pretty much perfect.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader
    I can build you a Tele as per the link to Warmoth and a neck to go with it. The body will have a 5-6mm cap not a veneer. The links below show some of the work I do thats if you have not seen it before.

http://simnettguitars.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3741.0

http://simnettguitars.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3889.0

The above link shows the day to day type of work I do in my workshop.

http://simnettguitars.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3235.msg20325#msg20325

The last link is a photo diary of how I built a 58 V form start to finish.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ooo gsp, I've messaged you mate, check your inbox. I'm going to be asking for your services sometime in the next few months (I know, planning a bit in advance...). I've also emailed, but not sure if you have a new email address now?

Love that v build. Amazing work.
  • GSPBASSES said:
    I can build you a Tele as per the link to Warmoth and a neck to go with it. 
    That's some pretty impressive stuff! I'm not to fussed about a custom neck, but I may definitely take you up on the body when the funds become avaliable. (Just about to head off to Florida for 14 days)

Have you got any pics of completed tele bodies that you've done?

(PS the V is amazing)

• GSPBASSES said:
    I can build you a Tele as per the link to Warmoth and a neck to go with it. The body will have a 5-6mm cap not a veneer. 
    Those Warmoth bodies do have a 1/4" cap over a chambered body and faux binding (I put one together last week) but I say support your local British builder.