Gigging with aTubemeister 18?

EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
Search brings up a lot on these on here! Reliability? Clean headroom?

The prices on these are good at the moment with some shopping around.
Although, yes, I said I wasnt going back to valve...but those blue lights...
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12439
    There's a used one in the classifieds that keeps tempting me, the reviews seem very good too. The 36 watt version would definitely be loud enough to gig if the 18 doesn't quite cut it.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3337
    edited December 2014
    Merry Christmas @EricTheWeary.

Not sure about the 18 although my TM 36 was loud and had clean headroom, however, the TM amp range does have a Red Box DI out. You can can take a feed to the PA as well as your speaker. Is that any good to you for live and at rehearsals? Oh, and I was told that you could switch off the blue light, but like you, I like it :)

I didn't have any reliability issues with the TM36. Great weight, features and portability. I only sold it because I was mainly using the lovely clean channel with pedals, so I switched to a DRRI.

Nifty little amps

• With a bit of shopping around ( speak nicely to GAK) the new ones aren't much above what they were going for used. I slightly wonder if there is an updated model due in 2015.
    With the new band, if it all comes together, the singer has a good vocal PA ( TBH that's how he got the job but don't tell him that...) but the Red Box would be a good bit of forward planning for bigger venues or even demos.
    It's clean headroom that's going to be the issue.
    However, I started this Discussion before leaving the office and come home to car insurance and the xmas credit card bills so 'honey, I'm spending £600 on a guitar amp' is going on the back burner for a tad bit longer! :(
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2335
    I AB'd one against the statesman, and preferred the statesman personally.  But you don't get the redbox with the statesman, so if thats a key requirement.  
  • thomasw88 said:
    I AB'd one against the statesman, and preferred the statesman personally.  But you don't get the redbox with the statesman, so if thats a key requirement.  

the Statesmen are discontinued now by the look of it?
    Aside from a practice amp I'm looking at my first new amp in ten years and it is totally doing my head in. First world problem I guess!
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2335
    thomasw88 said:

the Statesmen are discontinued now by the look of it?
    Aside from a practice amp I'm looking at my first new amp in ten years and it is totally doing my head in. First world problem I guess!

They are discontinued indeed.  Come up on Ebay tho at very good prices, and they sound superb.
  • Had one issue with my 36 where a board needed to be replaced, but on the whole it seems really reliable. FWIW I was using the 230v version and not the 240v version you should have for the UK.

Based on gigging a TM36 for a.few years omn and off I would defiently recommend trying to demo one before buying, they are quite a sterile sounding amp and the EQ section is pretty weird on them. The clean channel is really great, the crunch is good when driven and the lead is ok, but I can see why some people don't like them. I know others have had great success using the clean with drive pedals but I couldn't find a pedal that suited it, and found it hard to get good lead tones at lower levels without it sounding fizzy as hell, no mater what wattage. Cranked, they are a lot better.
  • I thought the clean was nice. The crunch flat. The lead fizzy. Lacking warmth. Unimpressed.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I have owned one for a couple of years.  No gigged it but used at band practice many times. Never let me down. Headroom is fairly decent. Its very versatile in terms of its uses, which is why I bought one. Not massively in love with the tone though if I am honest. Its quite a 'hifi' sounding clean tone.  Definitely one you should try before buying.