Melancholy, atmospheric, reflective music (post rock maybe) - any recommendations?

What's Hot

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    edited December 2014
    apologies if already been said,but check out robin guthrie (cocteau twins/this mortal coil).

he does exactly what you want ;-)

also try some brian eno too :-)

julee cruise is fantastic too :-)

Already a Cocteau Twins fan - I probably have everything they ever did :D but strangely I've never really explored Robin Guthrie's solo stuff, and I must - so good point there. Already have all the This Mortal Coil albums, also The Hope Blister that followed on from that. Already with you re Brian Eno also. Sorry for all the "already haves" - probably inevitable given I'm asking about a type of music I'm already pretty keen on, and I do appreciate being reminded of these people all the same. Julee Cruise is an interesting suggestion - I only remember her from years back when there was something in the charts - cheers for the idea, will look into that one. :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Exit calm might be of interest to you...

New to me, but like that, nice one @badlydrawnbanjo ; :)
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Try the french artist Sebastien Tellier.

He covers a lot of ground like all out dance and synth pop but his main style is extended string drenched workouts with a good groove and a dash of gallic sadness.

Try his track La Ritornelle first. All his stuff's on Spotify.

Skarloey said:
    Try the french artist Sebastien Tellier.

He covers a lot of ground like all out dance and synth pop but his main style is extended string drenched workouts with a good groove and a dash of gallic sadness.

Try his track La Ritornelle first. All his stuff's on Spotify.

Sounds intriguing - will check out, cheers @Skarloey. :) 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5117
    Latter day Scott Walker, although you may well be aware of his work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1195
    Great thread... properly downlifting. :-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Reverend said:
    I am aware of it - I guess ticks all the right boxes, but somehow I've never really got into his stuff. Good suggestion though, maybe I'll try again some time, cheers.
    camf said:
    Great thread... properly downlifting. :-)
    Wonderfully depressing isn't it? :D
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited December 2014
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2444
    I'm fairly certain I've recommended this a while back on another thread but my suggestion is Jamie Woon - Mirrorwriting.

Definitely one of my favourite and most listened to CDs.  It's very well written and chilled out; the music sounds great and simply washes over you.  Highly recommended.  In fact I recommend this CD over anything else I own and it's not even guitar based!

Here's a sample:

Great thread.  I think I'll do some research on the recommendations above too. 

:)
    Drew_fx said:
    Nice one Drew! :)
    beed84 said:
    I'm fairly certain I've recommended this a while back on another thread but my suggestion is Jamie Woon - Mirrorwriting.

Definitely one of my favourite and most listened to CDs.  It's very well written and chilled out; the music sounds great and simply washes over you.  Highly recommended.  In fact I recommend this CD over anything else I own and it's not even guitar based!

Here's a sample:

Great thread.  I think I'll do some research on the recommendations above too. 

:)
    Liking that a lot, very listenable! Glad you like the thread, I'm pleased I asked on here now myself, and it's cool how much variety there is in the various recommendations too. :)
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Megii;460295" said:
    Reverend said:

I am aware of it - I guess ticks all the right boxes, but somehow I've never really got into his stuff. Good suggestion though, maybe I'll try again some time, cheers.
    Climate of Hunter (1984) is the easiest way in.

In fact it's very close to.his late 60s stuff and I think Scott 3 largely ticks the boxes in your OP.

Tilt (1995) is a masterpiece.

I think The Drift and Bisch Bosch would be off putting heard in isolation without knowing the earlier stuff.

The latest album with Sunn 0))) might be up your street. Perhaps the first and last tracks on it give a flavour of the rest and whwther it'd be safe to proceed ;)

Skarloey said:
    Megii;460295" said:
    Reverend said:

Climate of Hunter (1984) is the easiest way in.

In fact it's very close to.his late 60s stuff and I think Scott 3 largely ticks the boxes in your OP.

Tilt (1995) is a masterpiece.

I think The Drift and Bisch Bosch would be off putting heard in isolation without knowing the earlier stuff.

The latest album with Sunn 0))) might be up your street. Perhaps the first and last tracks on it give a flavour of the rest and whwther it'd be safe to proceed ;)

OK, I will try @Skarloey - I have listened to Tilt, and some of the other stuff before now. Maybe it's an acquired taste, and I didn't give it long enough.

Amebix. The start of crust punk and also the impetus behind a lot of the post metal movement.
    This is from their comeback album.
    Try dome neurosis, but more importantly try the side projects. Lots of dark ambient and dark folk going on.

If you don't mind some metal try Drudkh. Black metal full of what is often described as Slavic melancholy.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31089
    Sepultura

/thread.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 929
    Try True Widow. On the heavy side of post rock, but they're ace. Plus they're current, so you'll be able to go see them at some point.
    Reverend said:
    If you don't mind some metal try Drudkh. Black metal full of what is often described as Slavic melancholy.
    Thanks for taking the time to post all these suggestions @Reverend. Actually, I am quite liking the Drudkh track, not sure re the others yet, but I'll give them a good listen. :)