Thinking of purchasing a Laney Lionheart, any thoughts !

Happy New Year to All ! Can anyone here give me a little more of a "Hands on" to the Laney Lionheart, Head and Cab in particular I've tried a 5watt combo and loved it,but I'm thinking of getting the 20w, or even the 50w Head and Cab Does anyone own any of these, or have had any dealings with them . All the reviews I read, hold them in high esteem, are there any reliability issues any knows of ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    The 20w head is killer. I toured with one and recorded an entire album using one.
  • Do you think the 20w would cut it in a five piece pub/club band ? No issues in the reliably department !
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    To follow on from what @timmysoft has said I had the 4x10 20 watt combo as my main amp for 6 years. It's a brilliant amp, I thought it took pedals well. You can really use it as a one channel amp and use your guitar to get a drive sound or clean it up. Even the reverb is great.

Honestly I think it's one of the best sounding amps in its price bracket. Because Laney isn't a "name" people think of you can pick up a great amp for not a lot of outlay. 

I swapped mine last week just because it was a pain to move around. Buy the head and cab and you will have a keeper of an amp. 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    Do you think the 20w would cut it in a five piece pub/club band ? No issues in the reliably department !
    Don't be fooled by the 20watt, I played to large rooms with a few thousand in and I had no problem with lack of volume. Don't forget any decent venue will mic you anyhow but don't worry you will be loud enough
  • Well, it sounds like my initial feelings about this Amp were true Thanks for the comments so far
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72680
    They do sound really good, and loud for their rating - although the (very expensive!) Heritage G12H-30 speakers help a lot with that.

The only issues I've ever come across with them were a faulty solder joint on a power valve socket, and a failed speaker (manufacturing fault, not blown), which is hardly Laney's fault. They aren't the best-built compared to some other brands, but they seem a bit better than other Laneys, if that makes sense.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Do you think the 20w would cut it in a five piece pub/club band ? No issues in the reliably department !

Mine was fine in a loud modern rock band, we played 250-1000 capacity venues and I never really struggled for on stage volume.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27269
    I have the 5W and it's fantastic. I couldn't find a bad word about any of them when I was researching. Just great amps.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12683
    I had the 20w head and never had any problems with volume - I play in a loud 5 piece punk band!!

I really wish I'd never sold mine - and I'm trying to persuade its now owner to sell it back to me as he's not using it...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Just checked it out online and look great for the price, only positive reviews!
  • TheCountTheCount Frets: 274
    I have the 20 head, it's not a bad amp but I don't use it that much as I prefer a clean platform for pedals and it doesn't have the headroom. In hindsight I should have gone for the 50.

Still not a bad sounding amp though, good for crunch / drive tones and pushing with pedals,  you can switch channels and the EQ works well on both sides, reverb is nice too. Cut control is weird or broken on mine, only really works on last 10%, big hum on drive channel when standing within about 5' which is a bit annoying when tweaking.

I used mine with a 212 loaded with G12's  but think they would be great with a 412, especially the 50 watt

• Thanks for all the info guys
    Looks like a winner
    Keep 'em coming
  • Yep, I had the 20w head too, no problems with volume at all. Great amp....trying to remember why I sold it! Would buy one again if I needed a new amp