Multi FX Pedals

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    The GT6 is poor by modern standards. I had one when they came out and sold it on within two weeks. Effects were ok but amp modelling was poor. The new zoom products mentioned are a good call!
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    This thread has made me want a G3 again!

@Fink_Ployd have a wisdom!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    d8m said:
    This thread has made me want a G3 again!

@Fink_Ployd have a wisdom!
    Umm, thanks?

I didnt know anything about it until you mentioned it
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I'm selling a G3 for £75 posted.
  • PauloPaulo Frets: 65
    The zoom ms50 and 70 are no good for headphones. On the cheap try the zoom g1 on. I'm using one right now, it includes looper and drum machine. I do fancy the zoom g3 though.
  • PauloPaulo Frets: 65
    Drew_fx said:
    I'm selling a G3 for £75 posted.

Interesting...
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17668
    tFB Trader
    The Zoom G3 is very good. The only reason I sold it was it doesn't have a line in which is a killer for me. 

The amp modeling on the G3 is better than the Boss GT-100 I used to have. 

The little blackstar ID Core amps are also great for headphone noodling. 
  • Not a multi FX unit, but for silent/late night practice I use a Boss Micro BR. The built in FX are of very decent standard and dont have that "digital" sound that I've found on other pocket multi FX (Korg Mini Pandora for instance).  You have the added advantage of being able to record/add backing tracks onto a micro SD card as well. The only downside is that it can't readily be used into an amp.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    My G3 is my Main / Only pedal now, it's amazing. I bought the G3 without the expression pedal because i plan to use an external one that's a little better constructed than the Zoom one on the G3X.
    I run it into the front of an old Peavey SS amp set to clean with a flat neutral EQ and use it for everything. I use amp sims on every sound and it just sounds incredible.
    For practise i turn the volume right down,  hook the G3 up to my laptop via USB and sit them both next to the Big-Ass-TV, then HDMI to the TV so my Laptop display is on the 55" screen, then use a wireless mouse to control it all. The EDIT + SHARE software is excellent and with that on the screen i can adjust everything dead easy but still have foot control. For quiet practice i just put headphones into the output on the G3 and carry on as above.

It's getting it's first rehearsal next Friday which i can't wait for as i've not played it or my new amp at gig volume yet.
    A G3 should be heading my way soon thanks to @Drew_fx

Theres a few in the classifieds now

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/30915/zoom-g3-70#latest

Also @Gru has one which sounds like it's brand spanking new

• GruGru Frets: 339
    @Flink_Ployd - thanks for the recommendation :-)

About a month old, only switch on pressed a few buttons to see what it's about and switched off. Great buy if someone is looking for one.
    edited January 2015
    Alnico said:
    My G3 is my Main / Only pedal now, it's amazing. I bought the G3 without the expression pedal because i plan to use an external one that's a little better constructed than the Zoom one on the G3X.
    I run it into the front of an old Peavey SS amp set to clean with a flat neutral EQ and use it for everything. I use amp sims on every sound and it just sounds incredible.
    For practise i turn the volume right down,  hook the G3 up to my laptop via USB and sit them both next to the Big-Ass-TV, then HDMI to the TV so my Laptop display is on the 55" screen, then use a wireless mouse to control it all. The EDIT + SHARE software is excellent and with that on the screen i can adjust everything dead easy but still have foot control. For quiet practice i just put headphones into the output on the G3 and carry on as above.

It's getting it's first rehearsal next Friday which i can't wait for as i've not played it or my new amp at gig volume yet.
    I'm considering this!

Last time I had a G3 it didn't play nice with my other pedals.

I've sold most of my pedals now and only have a tuner and couple of dirts left.

Therefore considering putting them in the cupboard and trying a G3 on its own.

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited January 2015
    @d8m

I had to shift my thinking a bit but now i've got my head around it, i love my set up.

Biggest hurdles for me (at first, not ongoing) were

Effect switching - the scroll thing annoys at first but i worked out how to program patches so that mostly i have one for each sound and try to keep switching individual effects to a minimum - so far i don;t have to switch patches mid song and so when i have one i need to alter mid song, i make sure the scroll is set to show that effect before the song starts...............
    eg: my Thin Lizzy patch is set up around their song 'The Rocker' - i have a flanger on it which i switch in and out as needed but the rest of the patch stays the same for any other Thin Lizzy song. I have one that does Nancy Wilson's sound and again, the Flanger is the one i switch in for playing songs like 'Barracuda' and out for playing a lot of her other stuff. My Police patch is quite full but again i just leave the Phaser, Delay and Chorus visible and leave the flanger on all the time as it's only ever a mild sound from that.
    I agree that this is the weak point of the G3 but i have become comfortable with it and work around it now.

Looking at it you expect to need more but you really don't. I heard a lot of people say the dirt / overdrives were a bit rubbish..........Oh no they're not but when you first switch them on, yes they are. They need tweaking and if you havn't got this on a laptop / pc screen you won't really 'Get' the significance of adjusting them. Each one is VERY sensitive to adjustment and often just a small change will yield massive results, especially when you consider tweaking the amp sim, cab sim and the overdrive / distortion and they all interact the possibilities for dialling in a good sound are huge and you have 100 patches to save them to........so
    eg: you have patch A1 with a Compressor, Air Effect, Fender amp, 4x12 cab and spring reverb and then you want to include an overdrive for lead breaks. When you switch it in it sounds bit rubbish so you tweak the overdrive but it still doesn't do it for you. Ok so take the overdrive back out of the chain, mirror the patch onto A2 and add the overdrive back in and now adjust ALL settings until you get it sounding good. Adjust volume until you find the right level of boost and now you play that song using A1 for rhythm and A2 for lead - you hit one pedal to switch mid song. Job done.

Getting used to using the PC - to be honest i would have given up on this unit by now if i hadn;t seen it hooked up to the PC. It opens up the possibilities of the unit and then i realised that everything i need is in here and how versatile it is.
    I will admit i am going to use an external Wah but the reason for that is that i am using a Weeping Demon which is an auto on/off spring loaded affair and that means i don't have to program a wah into a patch on teh G3. It also means i can hit the Wah for a single note or lots of them at will and it's auto switch makes the whole thing very simple. I will be using the expression pedal with the G3 and i CAN use the cry-baby effect built into it - i can use both so that the cry-baby give a certain wah tone and the weeping demon another but that's my choice for ease of use. The G3 WOULD do it all if i wanted it to.

My Board right now is a Boss TU 3 into the G3. I'm using the Boss tuner for accuracy and it's buffer but again, the G3 has a Tuner that is easy to access and works very well. When i add the WD and the Expression, that's it i'm done and because i'm only powering 3 units, any old power supply will do - i'm currently using a Stagg Wall Wart that cost £15 with the daisy chain lead.

Hope that helps and by all means PM me if you want to go any more in depth about it when you get it.
    If you're nearby to Bedford, you are of course welcome to come and try this before you buy one if you like, just bring biscuits ! 
    :)
    Bedford is a long way from where I live(Mordor!) but thanks for the offer :)

Last time I had a G3 for the evening I don't think I really gave it a chance, I simply scrolled through the patches and tweaked a couple.

I liked what I heard to be honest and the drum machine was a blast!

I  had hum problems when trying to use it on my PSU daisy chain with the other pedals I had at the time.

The biggest put off for me back then was the fact that I had so many other pedals(££s) so couldn't really justify one whereas now I've cut down to a couple of dirt's that I could live with putting in the cupboard.

I'm at the point now where I could either buy a delay pedal and sticking to minimal stompbox rig or give the G3 a proper go and go all in with it(G3 only rig)

Finally got my grubby mitts on it last night, so far so good. Ideal for plugging the headphones in for a late night session and will hopefully unlock a few more secrets as I use it more. Plugged into the Mac as an audio interface without a hitch so overall happy with it. Thanks to anyone who recommended it, nice little piece of kit

If anyone's got any tips on getting a decent sound out of it I'm all ears. Overall it's great but a lot of the sounds get a bit samey after a while. I'm not expecting miracles but sometimes it just feels like the same sound a bit louder or quieter.
    What would be the next step up from this with roughly the same features like doubling as an audio interface?

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    Voxman;464860" said:
    The GT6 is poor by modern standards. I had one when they came out and sold it on within two weeks. Effects were ok but amp modelling was poor. The new zoom products mentioned are a good call!
    Yup, agree with that. I kept my gt6 for years because of the fx, but modeling was pants. Sold mine last year for 60 Gbp.