Deluxe Reverb Alnico??

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• strat84 said:
    Im guessing the Tayden Ace is 25 watt?? Would that be safe to use in a DR?

They do an ace 50 as well if you want to be on the safe side. I had the j20 h which is slightly higher powered than the standard j20 and never had a problem with the speaker. I could'nt really compare it to anything else, but it did stay very clear and articulate even when being driven hard. I'm by no means a speaker expert though so you may want to take this with a pinch of salt. Give them a call a see what they recommend!
    The Swamp City Shakers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72795
    edited October 2013
    It depends how they're rated. A lot of speakers are rated (technically correctly) for the actual electrical power input. The problem for musicians who don't understand technical stuff is that a cranked amp can put out up to double its rated clean power (not usually quite as much as that in reality, but certainly a lot more than the clean power), and the speaker doesn't know the difference - so if you put a 25W (true rating) speaker in a 20W amp that will deliver 35W fully cranked, you blow the speaker when you do.

Celestion have historically been much more conservative than most other makes, and either by accident or design they do correspond much more closely to cranked-amp ratings. (Although some of their newer models seem markedly less so.)

Unfortunately, you don't usually find out whether the ratings are true electrical power or cranked-amp power until you blow the speaker...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• strat84strat84 Frets: 322
    Cheers guys, I'll probably just hang on till a P12N or something like comes up for sale used... I fired up the amp earlier with the C-Rex installed, sounded really nice at low volumes actually so that should satisfy for now!

Thanks for all the comments!