Jazz versions of pop / rock songs

What's Hot
bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
I quite like some of Brad Mehldau's version of modern songs done in his own jazz style and I decided to try and find some more jazzed up versions of modern pop and rock songs on YT and there is some good stuff out there...but most seems to be absolute rubbish.  

On my search I found that Paul Anka recorded an album of rock songs in a swing jazz style called Rock Swings and some of the tunes are pretty good, but most of them are pretty bad.  He does a cracking version of Black Hole Sun.  Pat Boone also made an album of metal / rock covers and it's shit.  

Here's a decent cover of Radiohead's Creep:

Paul Anka:

Brad Mehldau's amazing cover of God Only Knows:

So does anyone else know of any decent sounding jazz versions of pop / rock songs?  I've heard the Alex Skolnick stuff and I don't like it.  I think his playing is a bit boring to be honest.  It's hard to find someone better than Brad Mehldau doing these sorts of covers...if only he'd team up with a vocalist and make an album of them...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72933
    Madeleine Peyroux… Everybody's Talkin'

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Very nice, ICBM. Does she do anymore like this?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72933
    Very nice, ICBM. Does she do anymore like this?
    There's a version of Looking For The Heart Of Saturday Night on the same album (Half The Perfect World) too. Almost the whole Careless Love album is covers, mostly not rock/pop although there are a couple…

Dance Me To Te End Of Love (Leonard Cohen)

You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Dylan)

Well worth checking her out!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers, ICBM.