21 gigs on set of strings ! how long have you gone on one set ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Danny1969 said:
    D'addarios from strings direct, the cheapest ones from Strings direct 

I use 10's and do a lot of bends so I'm really surprised they have lasted so long. I always clean the strings after every gig but in the past i wouldn't risk more than 4 or 5 gigs 

Maybe the metal they use now is less prone to rusting ?

I buy my D'Addarios in packs of ten from Thomann or stores that will match their price. Can't find cheaper than that.

I clean them every time I'm finished playing using Fast Fret. Before I started using that I was still living in the UK and used to have strings (of all sorts of brands) go rusty on me – suspect the humidity was far higher there. It's between 53% and 60% in my cellar now, controlled by a dehumidifier and monitored via a hygrometer.

I play really hard, perhaps too hard for 9s, but I like to be able to do big bends (over two tones) and really wide vibrato, as well as extreme whammy bar use. So it's not surprising that material fatigue sets in quickly.

@jpfamps New strings may be harder to bend because their still-smooth surface is harder to grip....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    I'm starting to wd40 mine regularly.  We gig about monthly and I'll change them before the gig. I break the bottom strings on the LP - I must have some sharp edges on the bridge that need a little bit of sanding.

Last two gigs i didn't do this and I broke a string in the first song both times :(

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10412
    @nickp I had that on an LP, changing the saddles to graphite cured it
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    good lad @Danny1969 and cheers for that.  I'll get some once the latest phase of GAS subsides