Which Speaker Cab

What's Hot
asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
I have just bought the Mesa Boogie Mark 5/25 head and i was asked if i wanted a cab to
go with it.

It was recommended i get the Mesa Wide Body 1X12 closed back as it was designed to compliment
the amp,but at £400+ it seemed a bit expensive.

Question is,does it matter which cab i look at,and are the Mesa cabs really the best bet to pair with
their amps.

Thanks

Alan

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24780
    Zilla Cabs.

As well built as any over-priced big name on the market. Speak to Paul at Zilla to help identify the right cab for your needs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • In my experience Mesa cabs are better made than Zilla cabs - though I've only ever had one Zilla cab, and of unknown age, so I don't know if anything has changed.  I've had 3 Mesa cabs and the only issue I've ever had was a previous owner had managed to somehow kill one of the V30s.

The thing with Mesa cabs is they have differently voiced speakers which are no better/worse than normal Celestions but you can only get them through Mesa (either by buying their cabs, or buying the speakers from them).  It is a preference thing - I prefer the Mesa voiced V30s to the normal ones even though I do like both.

I would imagine a Classic Lead 80 Celestion speaker would work well in place of the C90 in the wideboy cab, but I've tried neither.  I'm not sure if I'd prefer the normal or Mesa voiced speaker out of those two but from what I've heard both sound good.

Mesa cabs are exceptionally expensive in the UK, and I've only ever bought them used.  £400 for a 1x12 is very expensive.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72933
    Probably the right cab is the one Bucket got to go with his 5/25 - a ported Zilla cab with the matching vinyl and a Mesa Celestion Black Shadow C90 speaker.

If the C90 is too expensive, a G12H-30 would probably be what I would pick. (Rather than a Vintage 30.)

If that's still too expensive and you want the bare minimum decent quality cab just to let you hear the amp in the house, I would get the Harley Benton G112 Vintage, which despite the price is a well-made all-ply cabinet with a V30.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7965
    edited January 2015
    I don't know if I'm confused here but I think @ICBM has used/owned a Montage cab?  Their intro 1x12 isn't too dissimilar in size to the Mesa widebody and you could run it open backed.  Would be less than half the cost of the Mesa including a Classic Lead 80. 
    I don't know if I'm confused here but I think @ICBM has used/owned a Montage cab?  Their intro 1x12 isn't too dissimilar in size to the Mesa widebody and you could run it open backed.  Would be less than half the cost of the Mesa including a Classic Lead 80. 
    Yes, I've had one for a short while. It was good, but I wouldn't pick it over the HB - it's more expensive empty than the loaded HB! - and bigger, which would be good if you want a looser, heavier 'rock' tone, but I don't think that's what asimmd is looking for.

I wouldn't buy a Mesa cab new at all, they're a rip-off in the UK, even more so than the amps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    edited January 2015
    I think after all the comments it makes sense to check out Zilla,i think they would be able to make a 
    decent cab to my spec,and i would also get to discuss what i want before i order.

I have emailed them lets see what they come up with.

Alan

Aha… finally found the pic I was looking for! Might have been quicker to just message @Bucket ;).

Message sent

• lentolento Frets: 117

I'd recommend an EV12L cab in either a Mesa Thiele or half-back cabinet. The EV is the best ever speaker for Mesa amps and the Thiele the most efficient 1 x 12 cab ever designed - imho :)

edited January 2015
    I should say i only play clean stuff.No overdrive sounds.

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 619

I can highly recommend MJW's cabs. Stunning. Here's mine....

http://www.martamp.com/images/_gallery/1x12fbcab_L.jpg

• citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    I've an EV12-L in a Zilla mini modern & it sounds huge closed & open back. Would add that my amp is quite bass heavy..
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5639
    Thanks Brize,I am not looking to purchase yet,just weighing Up the options.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12026
    That mesa cab is a bargain !! I'd snap that up if I was looking for one.  
    That mesa cab is a bargain !! I'd snap that up if I was looking for one.  
    Yes it is - certainly for a Mesa. While not technically that cheap by comparison with other brand cabs, if you have a Mesa amp you really should just do the right thing and buy it :). I've never seen any Mesa cab in decent condition for less than that. That's the better of the two standard speakers as well, and difficult to find except in Mesa cabs usually.

I am not affiliated with the seller in any way either!