'68 Plexi

What's Hot
bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

Great tone.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    Can't be that loud, neither his trousers nor the curtains are flapping ;)

At 1:50 I thought he was going into Focus' Hocus Pocus

Good stuff !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Jalapeno said:
    Can't be that loud, neither his trousers nor the curtains are flapping ;)

At 1:50 I thought he was going into Focus' Hocus Pocus

Good stuff !
    That's Mississippi Queen by Mountain :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24787
    Blimey that must be awesome in the room.

And completely deafening!!

I'd love a Suhr SL68 - his version with a built in Variac. Not cheap though!
  • That guy had the full stack up on fleabay back in April for $13600...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Marshall-Plexi-Super-Lead-100w-Full-Stack-034-Born-Together-034-/301130841846?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&;hash=item461ccbfef6&rmvSB=true&nma=true&si=iFniIpnubEJPLoR63UQGEkOgAfc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I actually had a go on a friends 68 plexi cranked, it was very ice-picky to say the least, even attenuated I still could get into the sweet spot, it was too painful on the ears. I actually found his own hand built 'clone' amps had a sweeter tone?

Plus one on the SL68, soundsgreat had one in. I think the build on these are exceptional.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72958
    That sounds immense :). I can hear the thump coming off the cabs even via the web and my little hi-fi speakers :D - it's like a clean bass note under the overdriven power chord… you just don't get that with small amps.

It might not be that deafening in the room though. I was testing the '73 red full stack the shop has at the moment, and I was surprised that it wasn't *that* insanely loud. Very loud yes, and probably projected a long way (I should probably have asked some of the shops across the street how loud it was ;) ), but it wasn't quite the penetrating ear-splitting volume I was expecting. The Greenback speakers may have something to do with it, they quite noticeably compress and soften the tone at flat-out volume, it got a lot more compressed-sounding than these amps do with higher-powered speakers (even the G12H-30s in that demo).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12704
    Nothing sounds or feels like a full stack with a Plexi sat on the top... thats for sure. Its a great sound - but I found *it* dictated the tonal direction of what I played rather than the other way around. Plus you can't help sounding like lots of other well-known folk without trying hard!! :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    ...he's wearing a syrup surely...?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Massive sound - my speakers were shaking!!  Love a nice bit of ZZ Top, AC/DC & Led Zep!  Bet his neighbours in the next county really loved that too!  >:D<  can't quite see my wife letting me have a 100w plexi and full stack somehow ...at least not without a divorce...& then I'd have no money to buy one anyway - God, she's so damned unreasonable!  =))

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    tFB Trader
    Shit the bed......
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    tFB Trader
    This is seriously a) giving me a boner and b) making me want to snag that Top Hat Emplexador in the classifieds pronto.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Sounds great. Needs an SG and a tad more treble for my tastes.