Blues Junior III Stealth (with the CREX)- too loud

rlwrlw Frets: 4757
Simple question - being sensible for a moment (still wanting a Falcon) my gut feeling is that the this amp is a great gigging amp but plain too loud - even with the master volume -  for most domestic uses. Add the apparent voltage and valve issues and it seems like money not that well spent.  Yes?  No?
Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
    edited January 2015
    I bought one a couple of months back and yes they do have a few issues, being set for 230v instead of 240v which is a very easy fix by the way and that they are biased way too hot from the factory. That said though I've been having some fun with mine, we recorded some stuff a few weeks back and although I took my regular gigging amp as well as the junior, I used the junior for the whole session, plugged into my 1x15 cab by the way as they sound so much better with an external cab. I wouldn't say they are too loud for gigging, just right in fact. You can get some decent low level tones from it especially with a drive pedal. They can be fairly easily modded to fit a bias control but this obviously voids the warranty. I've been wondering if the bias can be cooled down by using a different rated valve from groove tube. Mine came fitted with a number 10 which apparently gives the most headroom. It's a shame these issues haven't been addressed by fender as apart from these fairly major problems, they're not bad sounding amps really.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
    edited January 2015
    By the way, this groove tube rating system, what do the experts think about being able to alter the bias using the grading system without altering the amp? Numbers 1-3 give early breakup most distortion Number 4-7 are medium breakup and best all rounder Numbers 8-10 give cleanest headroom least distortion. If I were to change my number 10's to say a 7 would this make the bias a bit cooler or run even hotter or am I barking up the wrong tree here? Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    I play mine at home with the master around 8-9 and the preamp very low, plus pedals for drive if required. Perfectly useable at low volumes, though I'd prefer to exchange it for something more expensive at the moment.  

• Something for the same budget as a blues junior worth looking at is the vox ac15. It has a bigger cabinet than the junior so sounds less boxy. And you get tremolo and reverb.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • And it doesn't sound like a Blues Junior ;)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    And it doesn't sound like a Blues Junior ;)
    It won't with the Cannabis Rex speaker either :P
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    By the way, this groove tube rating system, what do the experts think about being able to alter the bias using the grading system without altering the amp? Numbers 1-3 give early breakup most distortion Number 4-7 are medium breakup and best all rounder Numbers 8-10 give cleanest headroom least distortion. If I were to change my number 10's to say a 7 would this make the bias a bit cooler or run even hotter or am I barking up the wrong tree here? Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread!
    Normally, if you have a bias adjuster, you'd need to re-bias the amp for the change in rating.  However in a Blues Junior I've found that the lower numbered GT's make it run a bit cold and the higher numbers a bit hotter. I'd go for a medium rated valve if you're thinking of changing. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• rlwrlw Frets: 4757
    Bought a Cornford instead...
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • MattFGBI;477489" said:
    bandmaster188 said:

By the way, this groove tube rating system, what do the experts think about being able to alter the bias using the grading system without altering the amp?

Numbers 1-3 give early breakup most distortion

Number 4-7 are medium breakup and best all rounder

Numbers 8-10 give cleanest headroom least distortion.

If I were to change my number 10's to say a 7 would this make the bias a bit cooler or run even hotter or am I barking up the wrong tree here? Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread!

Normally, if you have a bias adjuster, you'd need to re-bias the amp for the change in rating.  However in a Blues Junior I've found that the lower numbered GT's make it run a bit cold and the higher numbers a bit hotter. I'd go for a medium rated valve if you're thinking of changing. 
    I've just got an email back from groove tube and they said the same, a lower number will run cooler and draw less current which can only be a good thing in an over biased amp .
    The Swamp City Shakers