Marshall jcm 900 SLX.... Opinions?

What's Hot
Hey all, anyone any experience with these amps? In particular the 50w el34 version.....
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72486
    Good amp if you want the one thing it does very well… a dirty modern Marshall sound. It's not really a channel-switcher, it just has two master volumes, so it goes from dirty and loud to dirty and louder, rather than from clean(ish) to dirty, if that makes sense! It's not particularly good at very low volume, unsurprisingly - partly because the pots aren't very good quality and often have a 'step' when they suddenly come on. Sounds good when it's cranked a bit though.

It does have some minor reliability issues but is better than the more recent DSL/TSL/JVM series, and most are fairly easily and cheaply fixed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24443
    Love em. Wish I had one.

Far too loud for the house though. But get a good attenuator and it would be ace.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2448
    edited January 2015
    Probably the best of the 900's, they do that particular sound well, and are much better than the hi gain dual reverb versions.

I wouldn't pay big money for one though
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • I picked a busted one up a few weeks ago... Got it cheap and she's in the Dr's at the minute... In really good nick.. The el34 50 watter and also has a half power switch.... Looking forward to crankin the crap out of it :) Not a mad high gain person myself but love the 80's modded marshall stuff .... Lookin forward to playing around with it..
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • JoesaJoesa Frets: 86
    Just picked up a JCM 900 Hi Gain Dual Reverb EL34 50w 212 combo and a matching Lead 1936 212 cab for £150 all in! I have to say even for twice the price it's a great sounding amp and the clean channel is a really good platform for pedals. A little flat compared to a Fender maybe but if you're using pedals more than good enough and if you need any more gain than this has to offer you're playing Norwegian Death Metal!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    @Joesa - well played sir, most of the 1936s I've seen lately have been £200 and more, you got an absolute steal there!
  • JoesaJoesa Frets: 86
    edited January 2015
    Well, when I went to get it it looked like it had been down a mine but it was just dirt. He'd had it serviced with all new valves about 18 months previously and then it just sat in his outhouse gathering dust. Cleaned it up, fired it up and it sounded great. I've just this afternoon had the chance to crank it and it sounds fantastic. Superb for the Classic rock and blues I play and has a bit more gain on tap for the heavier stuff. The cab had a lot of rips to the tolex but evostik sorted that little problem out. Here it is in all it's glory

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii217/JimmyR_02/20150128_134919_zpsb68c0dd2.jpg

• Great score, congrats man! By all accounts you've got to redline the clean channel and stick a to in front of her and it's a different animal altogether... Worth a shot! My pal has one of these for tears and had always sounded great through it... Go again ;)
  • I just saw on Paul Gilbert's website a picture of the great man himself with an Slx beside him... Wonder are marshall going to reissue them?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72486
    I just saw on Paul Gilbert's website a picture of the great man himself with an Slx beside him... Wonder are marshall going to reissue them?
    They've reissued the JCM900 4100 Dual Reverb model, which always seemed like an odd choice to me - the SL-X would have been a much better candidate. Although rumour has it they were just using up old stock…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Strange choice alright... You'd think as you said the slx or the mk iii(ii)?
  • Thinking of selling this as ive 5 amps atm ;(
    ANybody know what the market price is on these now?
    Fully serviced and new tubes 9.9/10 cond..
    Thanks