Socrates logic and Andertons - that logic of B-stock.

What's Hot

Could you argue that all the equipment used for demo purposes on the Andertons You-tube channel qualifies as B-Stock ?

Andertons online 'B-Stock disclaimer' states  "B-Stock items at Andertons may be ex-display items, customer returns, box-opened items..."..... Therefore, I would assume that applies to the products used in their presentations.

Why do I ask ? Well, its Tuesday whereupon I contemplate the logic of Socrates and engage with Plato philosophical debates to prevent early onset dementia. Today's logic goes something like this

Premise 1 : Man open product box to make video.
Premise 2: B-Stock is open product box .
Conclusion : Products used in video demo are b-stock.

Other arguments ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    guitar taken out of box and subject to basic setup.
    amp taken out of box to check all is working/valves OK

its that B-stock ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    bertie said:
    guitar taken out of box and subject to basic setup.
    amp taken out of box to check all is working/valves OK

its that B-stock ?

The videos are not specific on the subjects of quality control. Equally, the b-stock disclaimer makes no mention of this setup and checking that you talk of.

• But by that definition anything out of the box and on display is B - Stock too, and has probably had more people try it out.  So surely if you buy anything in shop it is at least ex-display and should be discounted?  I don't think that is how it works in reality though.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786
    "taken out of the box" might include items returned by customers and put back into stock
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    edited October 2013
    So surely if you buy anything in shop it is at least ex-display and should be discounted?  I don't think that is how it works in reality though.
    Ironically, several of their b-stock items are ex-display guitars. Perhaps the length of time on display matters. However, your argument identifies the reason why I mentioned this in the first place. What are the guidelines used by retailers who demo on youtube when it conflicts with their b-stock statements.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    I went to Andertons and tried 6 different Les Pauls - all from boxes previously opened(they had been excellently set up)

I'd wouldn't class that as B-Stock.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:

The debate is what do 'Andertons' class as b-stock ?

• By that logic, these are B-stock...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UxveANlrYQ

I think not.
    By that logic, these are B-stock...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UxveANlrYQ

I think not.

According to Andertons disclaimer they appear to be b-stock.  The logic of the argument is clear.

• I'm not sure on that. I've not read their statement, but saying

"B-stock guitars are (whatever)"

is not the same as saying

"(whatever) are B-stock guitars"
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    edited October 2013

Interesting point about display items, particularly guitars. I have always understood that guitars need to be tried and that due to the huge variety you can't expect he shop to have another one of the same boxed up ready to sell.

Opening a box with a new pedal in it and finding bits missing doesn't seem so acceptable to me! (Seems to happen a lot)

Buying  a new Midi keyboard, I'd prefer a boxed one please.

Seen a nice Hammond Organ? well you expect to get the one you play in the shop.   

Hopefully the guitar you pick off the shelf has been treated with some respect and hasn't been there too long, personally I'd rat5her have the one I can see and try, knowing that condition and set up than the sealed on in the box.  

My previously assumed definition of 'B-stock' that it was in some way lightly damaged or shop soiled is perhaps out dated.

Platos logic was often infuriating, and if pushed - encompassing this subject - I no doubt could see more than a logical argument spilling over. However, it does raise the issue of new sales and promotion techniques moving faster than consumer regulation.  One wonders how this will be dealt with in the future.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    Jalapeno said:
    I went to Andertons and tried 6 different Les Pauls - all from boxes previously opened(they had been excellently set up)

thats kind of the point I was making............... purely 'opening the box and taking it out'  cant render it as B-stock otherwise 99% of stuff would be B-stock,    I would assume they mean "pre bought, that had been removed from box by customer"
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • I'm not sure on that. I've not read their statement, but saying

"B-stock guitars are (whatever)"

is not the same as saying

"(whatever) are B-stock guitars"
    This.

Andertons will prob only apply the b-stock label to stuff they think they need to discount in order to sell. I dont believe they make the statement that any product that is opened is going in their b-stock list.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Not sure about Andertons B-stock? Why don't you ask them?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    bertie said:
     I would assume they mean "pre bought, that had been removed from box by customer"

But that's an assumption. I was applying the logic of Andertons disclaimer. If Andertons added the words "excludes box's we open to inspect, set-up and test products", then your assumption would be a logical argument.