Recommendations on step down transformers

SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
Hi,

I'm thinking of bringing an amp in from the States - does anyone have any views on step down transformers - should I? what to get etc?

Alternatively, should I bite the bullet and change the PT on a really nice original amp?

Best

Baz
The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• strat84strat84 Frets: 322
    Hi Baz

What amp is it you're thinking of importing? Is it a vintage amp? If so I would leave the original transformers and use a step down/up transformer whichever it is... I bought this one from maplins.. http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-230v-to-110v-300w-voltage-converter-vr05f to use with a Blackface Vibrolux Reverb and it worked just fine.. Keep in mind the cost of shipping/import taxes!!
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Hi - thanks for the reply

The amp in question is a TW Express (..clone ..not a KF original, but it's still very sweet!) 

If i can leave it unmolested, that's a good thing

Thanks for the link - I was actually looking at this as an option. Could you tell me if it adds much noise / chucks out a lot of heat etc? if not, then it looks a pretty good solution and there might even be an argument for it doing a better job of voltage regulation that the national grid

Any other recommendations out there? Ideally I'd like something that small enough to sit behind the sofa! (..getting picky now!)
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • strat84strat84 Frets: 322
    No noise whatsoever.. and I don't recall it putting out any heat. It's been a while since I used it as I don't have the amp any more
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1649

Maplin have dropped the price on that traff to 30quid and are selling them off so be quick!

Re noise: You can quite often get a buzzing "lam" on auto traffs so check it out ASAP. Note that they all have a serious field around them so keep audio wires well away.

The line regulation will not be improved at all! Volts are halved but % change will be the same. Not that you will ever hear or be bothered by same (maybe if you live on a farm at the end of a line?).

Dave.